Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Everything's fine, just fine.

I'm having a hard time accepting what my mom wants to do. I learned a lot about her Sunday night, more so than probably all previously years combined. Many things that confused me now suddenly make sense, but no amount of preparation probably could have prepared me for what I learned. The 20 year gap in her life before she had me that I never knew about finally showed itself, it wasn't pretty.

If she believes she can save her marriage, more power to her. She's doing it to protect me and the family even though I think what's been done has rendered the whole situation unfixable. She said she would grant one more chance to my dad to make everything right, if that is wasted, she knows what she will have to do.

I have to see my dad and the rest of the family in two days, and like I mentioned I have to pretend everything that happened Sunday night never happened.

I'm living a lie for the next 72 hours.

I can't pretend everything is all rainbows, milk, and honey for long. It makes me sick.

2 comments:

  1. There are things which we have no right to tell. It is wrong to unnecessarily reveal the hidden faults of another. At least that's how my church has always viewed it. I mention this in the hope that maybe you will see this as applying to your situation with what you've learned about your mother, and the visit to your father, and if so, that it will make keeping quiet easier to take.

    I hope it all goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard an interesting term years ago when referring to older people's relationships, and that term was 'baggage'. When you are young it is easy to judge, but as the years go by sometimes the crap piles up and interferes with relationships (ask any twice divorced man). At my age now I like to accept people as they are now and not by the mistakes they have made in the past. Everyone accumulates baggage as they get older and that is why so many look back wistfully on their youth. Don't be too harsh on your parents cos we are all imperfect human beings; it is all about learning from past experience. bfn - Wayne

    ReplyDelete