Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Maybe There Is Hope

So things between me and Matt have gotten better since the school year started. We have 5 classes together this year and it seems that we are getting closer than we did last year which is great for too many reasons. We gotten to talking a lot more, though we aren't still the best of buddies but progress is progress nevertheless. Last class in journalism we ended up spending about 20 minutes stuffing envelopes to send out to advertisers which turned out to be fun psuedo bonding experience, and even after I finished, he asked if we could keep working on it together which surprised me since he was more excited about it than I was. Maybe I'm just a hopeless romantic and I'm just trying to convince myself of something I know will never work out in the end, but I can't help but feel somewhat hopeful and believe that maybe, just maybe things could work out with time.

Also, recently, I did some math to see approximately how many potential gay senior guys there are at my school, and here' the break down-

Total students = aprx 2,600
% gay/lesbian/bisexual = aprx 2.5-3% based on the research I have done
Total gay students = 65(2.5%) or 78(3%) in all grades
Total number of seniors = about 650
Total number of gay seniors = 16-19
Total number of gay or bi guys = 8-9

I currently know of only one out gay senior guy at my school which means there is statistically 6 or 7 other gay guys out there excluding me. There is likely another one or two out male seniors at my school I just don't know of or have just slipped my memory but I found this quite interesting. It just goes to show then that based on what I know, only about 12% of all the gay guys in my class have come out, now, hopefully I can change that number soon enough but nevertheless I found this to be quite a productive and thought provoking bit of math.

I've also thought I should share another blog I found a little while ago. It's written by a really nice guy named Jonathan who has recently been going through a rough patch in his life and could really use some friendly support, so go pay him a visit if you can.

All the best,

-Phil

I just realized Autumn is just about to or has already started so Happy Autumn!

1 comment:

  1. A nice little applied probability problem! I imagine you are living in a reasonably prosperous east coast urban area so the percentage goes up significantly. Maybe 4 or 5%. That's one in 20 or 25, i.e. one guy in every second class. Now you know how to make it easy for them to find you, don't you!

    ReplyDelete