Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Gay Homecoming King?

Hey everyone, so today went by pretty smoothly; I retook my math test, finished my Physics lab and had a good day in journalism and the weather is pleasantly cool and autumn-like. Ordinary day then? well, not really. Let me provide a background info, last week, my school held nominations for this year's homecoming court, the top five guys and top five girls in the senior class vote-wise get inducted into the court and then "compete" for the title of homecoming king and queen. Now, my friends have had a little thing where we always nominate each other and think nothing of it really (there are over 600 seniors). Now, fast forward to today in journalism, my teacher has a habit of calling people over to tell them something with a very angry voice and face, making you think you've done something wrong. Well, today, he did just that but rather than yelling at me like I feared, he referred me to another school staff member to gave be a packet and simply told me "congratulations, you've been nominated into the homecoming court". Now, at this point I was in total shock and was speechless and simply stood there looking at the packet with a blank stare before awkwardly walking away and getting back to my computer. In the packet, it details how I have to attend essentially 5 meetings and take the famous walk down the football field with a date during the homecoming pep rally between now and mid-late October. On the drive home, I talked to my friend about all of this and whatnot and I think that this might just be a good time to possibly make a move. I've considered coming out to everyone in my school for quite some time and maybe this might just be the time. I honestly don't care if I win or not but what if I somehow do? How would a predominately liberal high school react to having a gay homecoming king? This isn't unheard of, last year, a school in Kansas elected a gay homecoming king to national media attention. The guy's name was Matthew Pope who attended Shawnee Mission East High School, you can read more about his story here . So yeah, this could turn out to be a pretty interesting year. Heck, I don't know if I'll go through with this, but the thought of this still intrigues me...

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations Phil. You are a braver man than I, comming out in such a public way would have me shaking in my boots, but if you think your ready go for it and I wish you the very best of luck.
    Kindest regards Stef.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's up to you BUT if you do come out I'll be happy to walk be your queen :) (looks like it would be my coming out too)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You would need courage, but you would take so much pride out of it. And think what it would mean for every other closeted gay student at the school.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember winning homecoming court my Junior year so that's kinda like gay royalty but I was in the closet at the time...

    FMS

    ReplyDelete