Sunday, March 13, 2011

Land Legs

You know what, things got better, and it was mostly due to the singing of a cruise ship piano man I went to listen to and chat with almost every night for the past week.

Robert was his name, he sang mostly older classics- Garth Brooks, Journey, Bon Jovi- all with a slight accent, occasionally dropping the H in "th-" words which made me smile on the inside.

Every night at 9:15, he began his one man act, just him and his piano and a bar full of people looking for an escape through singing along in all tones and pitches, drink in hand, reveling in the company of strangers. Being in that lounge each night made me happy in a "everything will be alright" sort of way. It was nice, really nice.

Of course I did other things; I lost money at the blackjack table, I went to the beach, I hit the gym, I slept way too much, and I ate my body weight in five course dinners every night. I didn't whore myself out; it was an idea born in jest from the start, and apart from some nice eye candy at the gym, all the guys were douchey-looking bros who were all seniors, 90% of whom were from Pitt or JMU (nothing bad about those schools, just an observation).

So it was pretty relaxing which was good. I need to catch up on work now but I did get some work done over the break. Mostly, though, I'm ready to get back to campus now. I've had my time to think and unwind, but I'm ready to get back to the grind of things.

Strangely, I miss it.

JP

1 comment:

  1. Well that was a nice break and you caught up on your sleep; being drama-deprived makes you more relaxed. bfn - Wayne :)

    ReplyDelete