Sunday, March 4, 2012

Ben: Revisited

So back in the summer of 2009 I went on vacation with my family on a cruise where I met a guy named Ben. During this period I had yet to come out, but being the 16 year old self I was, I found Ben to be quite attractive and we spent a healthy amount of time together. We hung out, ice skated together and the fun stuff 16 year olds do while on vacation and then we went our separate ways. I had a small crush on him and after coming home I added him on Facebook. In the years since, I'd occasionally see what he's been up to via FB updates but not much more than that. If you want to read more, he has a brief bio on the sidebar.

Anyways, I made a few predictions back in 2009 about where we would be headed and some ended up coming true. He ended up going to an Ivy League school and appears to be doing well for himself. What recently caught my attention however was that he went to an LGBT event for Ivy-League schools. I should recap that back in 2009 I got the feeling that he was indeed gay despite the actual uselessness of my gaydar. Something tipped me off during that one-week span but ultimately I was left in the dark for these past few years. Well, after some light Facebook stalking I think that he is in fact gay or at least bi. The reason I found this funny for so many reasons is that now I want to know if some of my other hunches during high school were also true, people like Matt, my high school crush, and Southern Charm, my crew teammate crush. It really has me thinking. I hope that my gaydar isn't set on some permanent 3-year delay which will put a serious damper on my already crappy love life.

I haven't spoken to Ben in the years since but nevertheless, I'm glad to see that things seem to be working out well for him. That was actually one of the best weeks of my life reflecting on the experience. It was the summer before my senior year of high school and things were really going well at that point. It was fun and simple and feels so far away from where I am now. I think I'm going to browse around some of my old posts now and see what things I have since forgotten. This is why I love blogging, it's like a time capsule into my life.

Anyways, I'm headed back in to DC tomorrow with Ms. X and a few other friends for a day of restaurant hopping, museum visiting, and general wandering about. It looks like it might snow or rain tomorrow which I hope won't mess with our plans too much.

All the best,

JP

1 comment:

  1. If you think figuring out who is gay is tough now then imagine how tough it was back in my day when there was no such thing as 'gay' or 'coming out' lol. Even worse the guys I had gay sex with all got married to girls so they could be 'respectable'; I got the last laugh with the inevitable middle-aged (and very expensive) divorces! You remember Ben fondly so why not contact him via FB and remind him how much you enjoyed his company on the cruise? - Wayne :)

    ReplyDelete