Saturday, April 9, 2011

This is War

As I mentioned a few posts back, I was running for my Business School's Student Senate position. The vote was to be held online via electronic ballot and the results were ot be tallied up and the winners determined as such. When the day to vote came around, there were plenty of technical difficulties involving the ballot not working and as a result having things being postponed further and further. After that initial debacle, we recieved an email telling us to stop trying to vote until the ballot was fixed and that the student body would receive an email telling them when voting would be back on. Well, we never got an email and I just continued to suspect that maybe things were still being worked out behind closed doors - technology can be a bitch as we all probably know. Imagine my surprise then when I checked my email inbox declaring that everyone who ran got "reelected by us" with a "traditionally excellent vote turnout" (sarcasm, please do note).

I immediately started asking everyone I knew in the business school whether they ever got the chance to vote in this election or ever got an email saying the ballot was fixed. The response was a universal "no". I went back to the old email sent out earlier in the week with the broken link to the ballot to find it was fixed - must have been recently since one of my friends tried to vote as late as Thursday, well past the original deadline. So someone, pray tell, explain to me how an election as ridiculous and disrespectful to the seven candidates who ran as this should stand, let alone be considered fair?

I've already emailed the president of the council and have requested a new ballot and vote to be held. If needed I will contact the deans to fix this. This is war; not war over winning or losing, but war over the right to have a fair election and for everyone who has the right to vote be able to vote.

1 comment:

  1. Lol it sounds like Moammar Gadhafi was running that election! Something to be said for the old fashioned ballot box. Was it the 'good ole boys' who were running the election (seniors)? I think you are getting a lesson on how business works in the real world; connections count more than business acumen. Dunno if it's worth making a stink over it cos you might make enemies. You have more years coming up to get revenge (the Muslims say revenge is best served cold). bfn - Wayne

    ReplyDelete