Monday, April 4, 2011

Impulse

One of my friends got a temple piercing on a whim this afternoon; she had gone in to get a tattoo but left with the piercing instead. It wasn't something she had been planning to do for a while; she had been wanting yet another tattoo but she changed her mind last minute. Befor eyou ask, it does look good but I could only imagine what could possess someone to do something like that out of thin air. It isn't like buying a Snickers bar at the checkout line or spontaneously deciding to go for a walk, no it was getting a piercing on your face....I mean really?

I still don't understand her rationale but it got me thinking about my own life. If you were to observe my life on film it really does look like a rerun playing over and over again. It's the same schedule, wake up, shower, go to class, eat lunch, more class, dinner, find a breakout room and study until 3AM and then go to bed only to have it repeat the next day, and the next, and the next. Maybe I'll toss in a trip to the gym for shits and giggles. I envy her ability to give in to impulse, to say "why not?" when life entices her with something new and exciting.

It's disturbingly sad how bland my routine actually is. I've become accustomed to the familiar; in reality it's something I enjoy, but now it's not just familiar anymore....it's boring. I'm not a risk taker for the most part but I don't want this pattern to set in and end up 20 years from now being stuck day in and day out in a computer terminal analyzing balance sheets and entering data into spreadsheets. That's not what I want my life to be.

I'm craving excitement, the unexpected, the "what the fuck?" moments that have been absent from my life as of late. Whenever I've done something on a whim, it's always been do something something else that's still safe and familiar to me - going home for a weekend, going on an impromptu walk down M St, it's just so....expected. I want to go on an adventure. I want to feel my heart race from the anticipation of going somewhere new, somewhere dangerous, somewhere where few would consider seeing. I want to do something brash, something that will leave others scratching their heads and thinking "wow, I didn't expect that". I don't intend to do anything which could harm myself but something that will give me that spine tingling pleasurable adrenaline rush.

Once tomorrow is over I would have turned in my last paper for the week and finally be free for a few days. I want to go on an adventure this weekend. Mom wants me to meet with dad to work on FAFSA but his taxes won't be done, I know that. This weekend holds so many possibilities and experiences just waiting to be discovered; I don't intend to waste them this time. I've been waiting too long for some excitement, maybe what I need to do is find it rather than waiting for it to find me. Hmmmmm.

1 comment:

  1. I think the tattoo fad of the last decade is fading a bit; a small tasteful out-of-sight tattoo is ok but a lot of young people are going to deeply regret some of the tattoo monstrosities 20yrs from now when they are a different person and say 'What the hell was I thinking?'. At least you can remove a few piercings easily.
    -School and, someday, work do involve routine and that is good; much less stressful. It is your free time where you can find a little adventure and diversity. That is why I have a motorcycle. bfn - Wayne :)

    ReplyDelete