Friday, April 8, 2011

Five


I felt like a five year old all over again. I felt the wind in my hair, the sun on my skin, and the grass between my toes. I heard the carefree laughter of kids with no worries about tomorrow and I felt the butterflies in my stomach from going higher and faster in a swing.

I heard the clicking of bike wheels as I cruised along the waterfront past one monument and then another; it had been six years since I'd been on a bike.

I played catch, swung from the money bars, and ate fro yo with tart mangos and talked about how if adults just indulged their inner child, everyone would be happier.

Thursday was possibly one of the best days of my life, and tonight, I'm going to have fun. Few forces in nature are stronger than the determination of a child to have fun.

My inner five year old approves.

JP

1 comment:

  1. Now you know why I love my freeride mountain bike! At my age my joints can't take the pounding of running around, but biking is a great muscular and aerobic workout; off-road biking develops coordination and balance. And I get to feel the wind in my hair and the sun in my face, and the sights, sounds and smells of nature. I can go as fast or as slow as I like. I even ride it on nice days in winter. I wish more young people would get their faces out of screens, leave the cell home, and get out and enjoy some freedom. Someday when you are past middle age you might not be fortunate enough to be able to enjoy physical activity and the outdoors. Older people need exercise yes, but young people need vigorous exercise every day; I heard on the news that around 20% of young people in the USA are not fat but obese! It is the biggest reason for being unfit for the military. Kids grow up not knowing the relativity of things; they think sitting around playing video games, watching tv, staring at computer screens, texting on cells etc is normal, and exercise and effort to be avoided at all costs. Young people got loads of exercise before the advent of tv; it was so f**king boring sitting around the house they could hardly wait to get outside and go somewhere. I don't think the young people of today will have the long healthy lives of their grand-parents (in spite of medical advances) and most of them who didn't live to old age were cigarette smokers. The best things in life are free. bfn - Wayne :) (jeez, that was a good rant!)

    ReplyDelete