Monday, January 17, 2011

Reservation for "Fail"?

People can be bitches; that’s something I’ve known and just accepted as a part of life for years. Friday was supposed to be an elementary school reunion for my sixth grade graduating class. A few weeks back my friend Maria sent out an invitation to about 30 or so people and the response was a healthy 20 or so saying they were attending. The weeks passed and the excitement grew; I was going to see people I haven’t heard from in 7 or 8 years. Have they changed? Will I recognize them? Those questions were in my mind and Maria’s.

As the date drew near however I became more skeptical, Facebook events, especially those posted weeks prior are notorious to initial excitement and last minute cancellations. The initial reservation at Maggiano’s Tysons Galleria was for 25, which was then reduced to 18 though I was expecting even less. I expressed my concerns but who knows, maybe people will actually be excited to show up.

The evening of, I donned my new suit, tossed on a coloured shirt and a pair of chucks so it wouldn’t be too formal and headed to dinner. Maria and I carpooled and were the first to arrive. The hostess told us to come in when 12 people had arrived so we waited. At 8 who friends did arrive, we were excited to see each other, there were plenty of “hi”s and hugs but then the waiting continued. We waited, waited and waited until it was 8:40. 40 minutes after our initial reservation we realized that no more people had shown up. We called some people and the bullshit began to flow like a river.

“Something came up” – wow, aren’t you creative?

“I forgot” – uhhh, unless you’ve cut off communication for the last five days, enough messages were sent that even the most unobservant person in the world would have known.

“Ummmm, errr, yeah…” – yeah, keep struggling.

It was decided that we weren’t going to Maggianos and instead we went to the Olive Garden (down-grade much? lol). I wanted to tell the hostess that we have to cancel but I didn’t in the end; I felt so guilty afterwards, it was horrible. They have my number too from when I initially made the reservation so I’m probably blacklisted on their server now. Yikes.

Dinner among the four of us was nice though; I learned that four people had gotten pregnant and that a surprising number of people had gone to community college or not at all. I knew that my elementary school was “ghetto” by county standards but that still caught me off guard. We talked, dined and shared a few laughs, it was nice, but it would have been nicer if people didn’t flake out on us.

With the reunion a disappointment I went back to campus and with the guys out at a movie I joined the girls in their room who were all drunk or very tipsy at that point. I brought my bottle from my room and joined them in their revelry, by midnight we were all laughing and playing “never have I ever” while they tried to pry secrets out of a drunken me, thankfully that’s hard to do. Around 12:30 the guys returned and we went to my room for drunken Mario Kart. We polished off a bottle of wine and half a bottle of gin by 1:30. We were having a great time and everything was fantastically carefree, just like how hanging out with friends should be. Nobody got sick and by 2:30 everyone went back to their own rooms.

Saturday was a continuation of Friday night sans the alcohol. That afternoon we went out to the Spy Museum, the National Archives to see the Constitution, Declaration of Independence and Bill of Rights and ended up walking around the national mall. We had a night in and watched SNL and played more Mario Kart that night, we had enough from the night before.

*shit, I started this post this afternoon and now it’s 5AM*

My roommate went out tonight and went hard. He’s passed out on his bed with the lights still on and the TV still loud and blaring. I’m pretty sure he smoked something in addition to drinking tonight, and I'm not talking about tobacco, gah. Well, his life choices aren’t in my responsibility and he can do whatever he wants, he'll just have to deal with the results of hid actions on his own later.

I need to finish up a job application tomorrow and do a good amount of readings for Tuesday and Wednesday, not looking forward to it.

Night Y’all.

5 comments:

  1. It's really annoying when you have no-shows like that. Maybe in future situations, you should have them make a deposit large enough that they won't want to let it go to waste. You should probably have told the hostess that people had stood you up. Even now, it would probably be a good idea to call them up and explain what happened.

    ReplyDelete
  2. People initially have good intentions, but human nature being what it is well it's not surprising. Probably best to follow up after the initial invite to make sure people are attending. Sounds like you are having some good times though. In my younger days I never liked smoking dope and drinking together; I think one ruins the other and a person just feels like a zombie. But I quit all my bad habits back in my mid twenties thankfully (it takes will-power!) and am into good health and exercise. Good luck on the job hunt. bfn - Wayne :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Frankly, going as far back as middle school, I don't think those kids were driven enough to actually come. Last semester, it was hard for me to even get a few friends from last year to go to my birthday dinner (and I had it two months before my actual birthday when it was warmer and more convenient for people). I made reservations for 18 people and only 5 showed up.

    Personally, I don't see what's the problem with pot. Sure, it's illegal to a certain extent, but so is (underage) drinking. Everyone experiences it differently and your perception of marijuana has a great deal of influence on how it'll affect you. People get aggressive, black out, and do some of the most stupidest things when they drink. On the other hand, the people I know who smoke and who I have smoked with are able to stay conscious of their actions and never have I witness anyone getting into any sort of altercations while/after smoking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. An elementary school reunion? It would never even have occurred to me to hold such an event.

    But you have me rethinking my decision not to return a call I received some time ago. An old friend from my elementary school days (we are talking 30 years ago here) called me out of the blue.

    Maybe I'll drop him a line. See about some dinner or something like that. My biggest concern is that it will end up being two middle aged losers talking about the lives they wished they had, but didn't. Ha!

    Well, at least I don't live in my parents' basement....

    ReplyDelete
  5. it is too bad that your friends ditched, sounds like you guys all had a really good time and I am sure that they would have as well. Mario kart is always good, but I will admit it can be hilarious when played with drinkers. Nice blog btw!

    -TJ

    ReplyDelete