Thursday, January 13, 2011

A Fresh Start

I arrived back on campus Tuesday to a nice coat of snow on the ground and to the start of a new semester. I've met 4 of my 5 professors so far and things seem pretty good so far. They don't seem to quite have the unique personalities and openness last semester's professors did, but it's too early to tell or pass judgement. From what I've seen, there's lots more reading this time round compared to the fall so I have a feeling I'll be in the library a lot. My course load this time around is sociology, ethics, intro to critical methods and a few business courses.

I had my first accounting class yesterday and my first Business statistics class today and it's interesting to see just how these classes will likely form the basis for my future and career. If I asked myself when I was 5, 10 or even 15 I never would have said that I wanted to go into business and finance but now that I'm in college things have changed. I don't have to declare a major until the end of my sophomore year so I if I feel that the current route I'm on doesn't suit me I still have the chance to alter my final decision.

Why do I want to study business? I want to go into it not only because it deals with money but I have dreams to actually make an impact and change the idea that businesses are cold, pressed and starched entities willing to trample over friends and enemies alike in search of a profit. In my mind, the purpose of businesses is to give back to society, whether it be services or charity; even the biggest business wouldn't be where they are without some sort of trust from its clients. With people and the news only focusing on corruption and failings of companies, the view people have of such an important part of society is terribly tarnished, and I feel it's now up to my generation to help clean that up.

Hey, everyone has to have dreams, no? Why else are my parents spending $50K+ a year to send me to school? I think they're expecting some villa in the South of Spain one day...

I'm hoping to use this semester to refine my study habits and myself as a whole. Unlike high school I now get the opportunity to get a whole new set of classes every 5 months or so which will keep me on my toes; I'm hoping for a good spring semester.

Now that I'm finally settled in I should give you guys a peek into my life here at college. I've been blogging from my room a lot mostly when my roommate is out so I should probably show you the headquarters of the guy whose writing you're reading.

My desk, I'm so glad there's plenty of shelving

My desk again. I'm taking sociology this semester; the books are yet to be unwrapped though.
My roommate's desk and our TV. It was gift from my roommate's aunt to us. I brought my GameCube from home after break; my roommate and I have promised each other we're going to play drunken Mario Kart Double Dash one day.

My bed

I saw this magnetic board at IKEA and had to get it. The mask is from Halloween; I went as a masquerade baller.

Hoped you enjoyed the tour!

All the best,

JP

4 comments:

  1. When I was in college 50 years ago, there would have been none of the electronic equipment, of course; and there would have been a typewriter. But apart from that (and the fact that I had no flair for decorating), it's not so different from New South. But I'm not entirely sure — are your beds and desks in the same room? They were when I was in college.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice room! It reflects an organised and clear-thinking mind. About business; sometimes I think Wall Street flunked their ethics courses lol. Exotic instruments like derivatives, futures markets, hedge funds, and what-the-hell-are-credit default swaps are so arcane and mysterious (and controlled by equally mysterious computer programs) that they seem to be in the business of manufacturing money out of thin air. Here in New Brunswick Canada we have the Irving family with around 7 billion in assets the main one being a huge oil refinery. They are private, conservative and have made their billions the old fashioned honest way, and have no shares issued on the stock market. Americans know business and know how to make money but if the wealth doesn't trickle down to the masses then the masses will someday be bringing out the guillotines. bfn - Wayne :)(yeah hit the books and don't get side-tracked by too much drama!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol I just love the part about your parents retiring
    Naturally the tech side of me came out when I looked at some of the electronics
    Hmm looks like an iPod/iTouch I spot
    HP laptop with W7
    Intel processor with a webcam and you are missing your 5 key
    I also spot an Xbox 360 and an HP printer. Don't tell me the printer came in a bundle with the laptop right?
    Who knows maybe someday I will have to fix your computer at your business and we might never know that it's each other from blogger.
    Now wouldn't that be something
    Take Care JP
    Ethan

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's really awesome that you want to go into something with an altruistic motive. I wish I had your conviction. :)

    ReplyDelete