Monday, August 2, 2010

Meet the Family

Meet the Family

JP’s Mom – Ah my mom, best friend in the world. According to my friends she’s one of the sweetest moms they know and I wholeheartedly agree. I really don’t know what I would do without her. When I came out to her she took it kinda hard, there was a long awkward period which culminated with a long, teary heart to heart. To this day, things are getting better, I think she might be finally getting that me being gay isn’t a choice but then again, I’m not positive either. She’s the only one in my family who I’ve come out to.

JP’s Dad – I have an interesting relationship with my dad. Admittedly not as close of a relationship with my mom but I still love him nonetheless. We argue from time to time and I’m often rather snarky with him but we rarely have a fallout. He can get rather moody for the strangest reasons and he’s a secretive person. There are a surprising number of things I don’t know about my dad and his personal dealings but I just see those as a part of everyday life. I don’t think he would take it well if I came out to him.

Extended Family

Cousin N. – A fun loving workhorse of a guy. He’s really into technology but isn’t outwardly nerdy. I have a strong relationship with him and he’s always been there for me when I needed help for anything. He’s surprisingly naïve about many things about life like the specs of his own car. Apart from computers, as long as it works, he’s not going to ask any questions. He loves Abercrombie and Fitch and to be taken care of by his mom.

Cousin J. – The brilliant but foul mouthed jokester. He’s done very well for himself and enjoys the finer things in life. He loves to party, gamble, and drink. He also loves to pamper his mom though which I admire, recently hosting a $2000+ banquet room dinner for her, the family and some friends. He’s the definitive Asian “Bro” and playboy, and definitely the most so of anyone in the family.

Cousin D. – Kinda the awkward duck of this generation of family. We used to hang out a ton when I was little but since then we’ve grown apart as he’s become more recluse. He loves his video games as is a big papa’s boy. I’m 90% he’s never been in a relationship (he’s older than me) and is so awkward around girls it’s funny in a depressing kind of way. He’s really kind though.

Cousin A. – When I was little I never had much of a relationship with him, much less so than the other cousins, but this has changed in recent years. We often vacation together as we often bring him and my aunt with us whenever we travel. We have surprisingly similar personalities. We both have a semi dry sense of humour but love to laugh nonetheless and we are both very competitive. He too likes the finer things in life and has done with himself. We hang out a lot when on holiday, he’s a cool guy.

Aunt H. – Cousin N’s mom, she’s the aunt I have the most contact with. Actually, I see her almost every day since she helps with taking care of my elderly grandpa. She’s the sweetest person ever. She has worked hard all her life but she has done it all with a smile. She and the rest of my aunts and uncles on my mom’s side are really close, which comes with being part of a family of six kids I reckon. She tries to speak English with me and I reciprocate with Chinese, it’s mutually beneficial.

Aunt C. – The oddball of the family. Cousin A’s mom, she doesn’t seem to have lost her FOB-ness despite moving here ages ago with my dad. She thinks everything is dangerous (riding a bike, roller coasters etc), is blissfully unaware of her surroundings, and doesn’t know how to tip at a restaurant ($90 check? $5 will do, Lord have mercy!). Nevertheless, she means well.

Uncle Y. – Recently deceased after a battle with cancer, he’s a prime case of someone you never truly appreciated enough until they’re gone. He would come over a least once a week and eat with us for dinner. He lived alone in a condo he viewed as his prized treasure, he was so proud when he finished renovating the place just a few months ago. He was kinda weird as most uncles tend to be but he had a huge heart and always put someone’s needs else before his own. He was married and had a child but after a divorce, he hadn’t seen his kid, I don’t even know if the kid (who is older than me) even knows who his father even was.

Extended-extended family

Maxwell-Carnegie (aka Max) – Our adopted family Jack Russell Terrier. A lazy bum of a supposedly hyperactive breed which is probably for the better. We got him when he was three, he’s a good bit older now. He’s a sweet little dog but has frequent mischievous bouts. He likes to steal unattended to food on the table and loves to hide under beds. He acts tough around other dogs but is the biggest wimp when the first sign of a storm arrives, shaking uncontrollably in the most pathetic, sympathy inducing way. He likes to hide under beds when he is scared but also for no particular reason at all sometimes. His favorite activities include eating, sleeping on his pillow and rides in the car. I’ll really miss him in college.

There are many more members in my family but that would take way too long. These are just some of the most influential people in my life and helped mold me into the person I am today.
I love my family

JP

1 comment:

  1. Being Asian myself, I'm sure there a ALOT more family members.

    ReplyDelete