Sunday, September 20, 2009

The College Post

I've procrastinated this post for far too long and finally I'm ready to discuss the next four years of my life - college. I've visited eight schools in total and there are in total seven schools I'm pretty sure I'm applying to, all of them on the East Coast of the US. What I'm going to do is put all the schools I'm applying to and all eight I've visited with a brief description and my personal opinion of each based on the visits and info sessions I attended. I'm personally interested in Business but there is no concrete major I have chosen as of now. If you have any knowledge about these schools and have any information or opinion you would like to share, please do, I could use as much help as possible before the application deadline of January 1st.

So....in no particular order....

1. Georgetown University (Washington DC)
By far and away the nicest school aesthetically and also the most I feel at home at when I visited, Georgetown is one of my top 3 choices. It takes only about 30 or so minutes from where I currently live which means it is really close to home. It's located in Washington DC and despite being in an urban location, the campus feels small and intimate. The people were really nice, especially our guide who was a recent graduate. The school is a Jesuit University which means it has connections with the Catholic Church but while on campus, it did not feel so bent over on religion which is good considering my entire family isn't religious, our tour guide was actually agnostic too and she said she felt right at home, I will be required to take a religions course though. Georgetown does have a good business school, comforting atmosphere and was also the only school which outright mentioned during the info session to have a Gay-Straight alliance and gay student organizations which pleasantly surprised me. This is also my second choice in a tie with UVA.

2. University of Virginia (Charlottesville, VA)
UVA was also a really nice school, unlike Georgetown, the campus felt a lot more open and big, I actually got lost initially trying to find the admission office. The school was established by Thomas Jefferson and is located in a much more rural area than most of the other schools. It had a nice campus, though not as nice as G-Town but the people seemed equally friendly. UVA has the best undergrad business school according to Businessweek magazine and on top of that, the school is comparatively very cheap admissions wise because I'm an in-state resident. Also, there are apparently many secret organizations and fun traditions at the school.this is probably my second choice in a tie with Georgetown.

3. Columbia University (New York)
Thoroughly grand and thoroughly New York, Columbia ranks up there in terms of campus beauty and overall prestige. I visited Columbia during a four day whirlwind college visit extravaganza over the summer and of the schools I visited, this one was the most memorable. The campus was beautiful in a thoroughly urban way, a lot less trees and greenery but elegant and classy. The people were really nice but everything seemed a lot more fast paced than the other schools. The info session was good, though not the best I've been to. Also, while being a very prestigious school in a very liberal, gay friendly city, it was also very pricey.

4. Harvard University (Boston)
Harvard was an interesting school to visit. Few colleges in the world are as well known and prestigious as Harvard University. When I visited, I missed the information session because of issues finding parking but I did catch the tour. To be honest, while the school was nice, the campus wasn't nearly as inviting or distinguished as I expected. Also, the people there seemed to be rather stuck up compared to other schools. Maybe I just went at the wrong time of year but still, I was slightly disappointed with what was supposed to be the premier school for higher education in the United States. Expensive too.

5. The College of William and Mary (Williamsburg, Virginia)
W&M is a beautiful school rich with history and charm. I went with my friend Maria over the summer so it was nice and quiet. It's a good school and has some very nice people, the tour guide was especially amicable and they provided us with free bottles of water :D. Anyways, the school is located in a rural-ish location, Williamsburg is a very historical small city and when I say small, i mean it. It's a very quaint and comfy feel walking through campus and the town while being only 4 hours away from home. Williamsburg is also home to Busch Gardens Europe which is personally one of my favorite amusement parks. Another bonus - in state tuition is reasonable.

6. University of Pennsylvania (Philadelphia)
The latest school I visited, UPenn was also a very nice school. It's only 2.5 hours form home and is located in a another nice, historical city. UPenn also has what is considered the best business school in the US. The campus, like Georgetown, feels like a small town within the hustle and bustle of a big city. Yes, it will be very difficult to get in but the prestige and education that comes attached with it is well worth it. The people I met, including a few students, were all very friendly and came from a very broad background from across the US and internationally. Another observation, when I went there, I don't know how many jaw droppingly hot guys I saw going on tours with me. Maybe I just caught it on a good day, but even if half of the guys were that good looking, maybe that alone would be worth it to get in. How much? It's pricey, but they do give out plenty of financial aid. This is probably my first choice school.

7. George Mason University (Fairfax, Virginia)
Safety school. Let's leave it at that.

So those are the seven schools I'm considering. If you have any ideas or input on any of the school please make your ideas and voice heard. I would love to get as much thoughts and info about every one of these schools as possible.

Also, I mentioned I visited eight schools but only applying to seven, that other school would be Boston College. Like Georgetown it's a Jesuit school, but religion was emphasized way, way more, uncomfortably so for a non religious person like me. I don't think I want two statues of Saint Peter and John watching my every move when taking a test and the Virgin Mary watching my every move in my dorm room. >.<

All the best,

Phil

3 comments:

  1. I went to Georgetown in the early 1960's. The religious identity is certainly much less emphasized now than it was then. In my day, the religion courses had some element of indoctrination, but you didn't have to take them if you weren't Catholic. I guess now it's more a matter of learning something *about* religion.

    I've never been to Charlottesville, but if you don't need to be in a big city atmosphere, UVA sounds great.

    I don't think you'd go wrong at either school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and Harvard is good, but I get the feeling they think they're way better than everybody else, but it's not true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Somewhere near the city. I grew up in a rural setting all my life and quite frankly I got tired of that country bumpkin shit, and rural colleges would be no different. Your whole life would revolve around on-campus parties as opposed to something "near" a city, not in the city itself...,but something near where you can still enjoy its benefits ie clubs, nightlife that only a city can provide. But that's up to you.

    I kinda went to a "secondary" school but now I love it b/c its near the city and I can actually have a future here as opposed to a rural school, where I go there for college, and basically never come back, lol.

    Also, internships are in cities.

    I would say Georgetown (I've been there) it is nice but I don't know. I don't think you can really tell until you actually start going to the school. The tours are bullshit.

    Hell, honestly, even the rankings are bullshit.

    Its about the individual.

    Just me kinda ranting about bullshit education systems in America, lol

    ReplyDelete