Saturday, October 26, 2019

Boring Gays


Back in college, right now at 8:30pm on a Saturday night, I would be getting ready to go out to a bar, party. or hosting something with friends. Drinks would be flowing, music ramping up, and a night of debauchery not too far away. But tonight, I found myself strolling the aisles of a Harris Teeter, after having gotten dinner with my boyfriend, picking up a box of brownie mix, a pint of ice cream, and caramel sauce. As we were making our way to the check out lane, my boyfriend joking said "We're such boring gays". This isn't the first time we've made that comment, but I think I'm starting to accept that being "boring" and having a night in isn't something to be ashamed of. It's perfectly fine. More than fine actually.

As we now both start to settle in to the later part of our mid-20s, I think we've gotten to the point in our lives when while going out is still fun, I've accepted that being "boring" isn't a bad thing. What is wrong with watching the Corpse Bride on TV, making a pan of brownies, and just going to bed at a reasonable hour (which may or may not be the plan for tonight)? With both of us working nearly 50 hours a week, any moment of respite and relaxation is valuable.

So if you need me, you won't be seeing me at Trade, Number 9, Tombs, or any other bar. I will be on my couch, cuddling with my boyfriend, enjoying some nice dessert. I'm a boring gay, and proud of it.

All the best,

JP

No comments:

Post a Comment