Thursday, August 13, 2009

High Seas Shenanigans and a Thank You


If I could take any vacation, it would be in the form of a cruise, so I guess you can see why I am excited for this next week as I will departing for 7 days of unlimited food, live shows, beaches, and hot guys sunbathing by the pool (and maybe erging in the gym as to not get carried away). While this isn't my first cruise (I've been on six) this will be my first on Royal Caribbean so I'm looking forward to the experience and do some inter-cruise line comparisons. I'll be on the Freedom of the Seas, which apart from currently being the biggest cruise ship on the high seas at least until Oasis comes out, apparently features a rock wall, infinite wave machine and an ice skating rink. While I doubt I'll end up trying all of the above maybe I'll have a random burst of spontaneity and hopefully not make a fool of myself.

In other news, my recent obsession with gay story lines in international soaps has grown this week when I was referred by a friend over to a British soap called Hollyoaks and the John Paul and Craig storyline. To put into perspective how addicting this show is, I've watched so far 8 months worth of their storyline in two days on Youtube (and I wonder why I can't get any summer work done...) It's has your everyday gay soap storyline, the whole realization, hesitation, falling in love with a friend, denial, anger, and then coming out phases but so far this is the most realistic and believable portrayal of gay characters and their lives of any show I've watched so far. They aren't camp or stereotypical and they face many normal problems from queer-bashing and normal everyday family drama and for JP in the story, drama associated with having to live with 5 sisters. So I highly recommend watching it if you have the time, kimbaforeva has kinda posted all the episodes JP and Craig are featured in chronological order. Another one I follow would be Verbotene Liebe and the Christian and Olli storyline; it's a German show and if you're interested in that, you can also find it on Youtube painstakingly translated and subtitled by Ichglotzutube.

Finally, I have realized I got my first follower for this blog as well as my first comment on one of my other posts, so I'm very happy to see that people are actually reading my posts and scribblings. I really enjoy reading responses and input on things I write about so all I can say is "Thank You".

Craig Dean and John Paul McQueen from Hollyoaks.

2 comments:

  1. Six cruises already?? I'm so jealous, if I've taken a boat ride on the beach a couple of times in my life that's waaay too many hahaha, but that's what cruises are for: finding gay people =)do be careful with what you eat you don't want to look bad in swimsuit, also bring lots of pictures and have a great trip
    Hugs
    Fer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just discovered your blog through Tyler.

    I thought the scene where John Paul comes out to Craig was grippingly true to life. So true that I even copied down John Paul's words beginning with, "Whenever I see you with her…" I probably should have begun earlier with, "It's because I'm jealous." Anyway, I thought it was a very well written and very well acted scene. And the build up to it over the previous episodes was very well done, as JP struggled with the growing realization of what his true feelings were. After that, I think it went back to being soap opera. Except the episode when Craig was outed — that was opera, not soap opera.

    ReplyDelete