Saturday, August 7, 2010

A Reintroduction

It’s been a while since I’ve done one of these posts, in fact, it’s been almost a year now. When I wrote my last introductory post, I had less than 20 followers and was still trying to repair the fallout after the discovery of my blog by someone I’d rather not have know about it. Today I can proudly say that things have changed, and for the better too. I just hit the 35 follower mark and I’ve become much more open about myself and my life since that time. So if you’re new, may I first extend a warm “Welcome” and also hopefully answer a few questions you might have about this pokey 18 y/o from the land known around here as the DMV.

I was born in Washington D.C. and having lived there for the first four or so years of my life. I am the youngest member of my entire family and am an only child. When I was almost five, my family moved to the suburbs surrounding D.C. and I have lived there ever since. I recently graduated from high school and will be a freshman in college this fall to study business. I plan to continue to chronicle my adventures as I enter this strange new world.

Personality wise I’m a bit of a mish mosh of southern hospitality, northern wit and attitude with a dash of courtesy seemingly pulled from a time of yore. Some would say this hospitality is anachronistic in this day and age, but hey, it’ll never go out of fashion as far as I’m concerned. I respect all as long as you respect me. I’m a generally quiet person, in fact, you might even go as far as call me shy if you were just meeting me but get past this stage and you’ll find me to be actually pretty engaging. While hardly a party animal, I can, will, and do let loose when the time is right. "Work hard, play harder" is my motto. I love to laugh and make other people laugh, anything to brighten the day of someone who needs some brightening.

As for what I look like I will not reveal too much (no pictures, sorry) but I can tell you this. I’m 6’2”, athletic build, 36” chest… Okay, well maybe not. Actually, it’s closer to 5’9”, only mildly athletic build and with black hair. Not bad for being Asian I gotta say considering my mom barely breaks the 5’ mark. I’m quite tan (courtesy of crew!) for an east Asian. I consider myself to be slightly above average looks wise. I do have two sides, my nerdy appearance with my glasses and my “other” side without them. I love both sides but I'm a giant nerd at heart.

I have a bunch of interests, many of which I developed when I was still little. One of my main passions has always been cooking; not only is the precision aspect of it appealing, but rather seeing how a pile of raw ingredients can transform into a completed dish is astonishing to me. I also rowed for two years on my schools crew team, getting me into much better shape than I was before, and while I probably will not touch another racing shell or oar again for a while, rowing will always have a place in my heart. Some of my other interests include cars, music and reading good books.

So far I’ve never been in a relationship. There have been a few guys I’ve liked (all likely straight and most of them being runners), and I never really went anywhere with a few guys who’ve expressed interest in me (not my type). I would love to be in a relationship, it’s actually towards the top of my to-do list but I’ll take things as they flow by. For the record, I’m not out quite yet. While I am out to about 15 people plus my mom, I haven’t publicly come out as gay yet, though this might change come this fall. I like guys who are slightly taller than me though that’s hardly a requirement. The first things I look for is a nice smile and also a good personality. I need someone who is friendly, sharp witted and can carry on a conversation. **know someone like that? send them over will ya? ;)**

Once again, welcome to my blog, or if you’re a long term follower, welcome back. I hope you’ll find my ramblings about my life and this crazy world around us to be as entertaining for you as it is for me, I really do appreciate you embarking on this ongoing journey with me.

All the best,

JP

4 comments:

  1. Thanks a lot for this post. I am kinda a new follower and this post really helped me get to know you better. I hope to remain a loyal follower as you embark on this upcoming exciting journey - college.

    PS: I do know someone like that... and he lives in DC too...

    shoot me an email: confusedyethonest@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very nice post! I'm 5'8 so you have me beat lol. I love exercise too and I ride a freeride bike off-road quite often to keep in shape; easier than I thought for my age. Don't bemoan the 'relationship' thing too much cos it is nice to enjoy your freedom too. Don't waste your time (if you are looking for sex) on guys who are chasing girls and always talking about them. Some closet gays might be on teams like your rowing crew cos they like being around guys. See if you can find a guy who may be so inclined and become close friends.
    -It puzzles me how you can be out to 15 people and not be out all the way; people are such gossips! But you may be right to try and do it gradually. College will present new opportunities for your social life but you should keep in mind that your studies are top priority and sacrifices occasionally have to be made. But at your age you need a real boyfriend; I hear you. bfn - Wayne :) (I follow Sam's blog too and he is a good guy!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to read an introduction as I've only just recently started following. I look forward to reading more :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I truly enjoyed this intro. I'm glad to have across your blog. I hope to read more from you soon.

    -K.C.

    P.S. I can sympathize with being Asian, I'm also 5'9" (what a cowin-ki-dink).

    ReplyDelete