Saturday, August 29, 2009

A Good Kind of Pain


Today was probably one of the most tiring days of my entire summer, yet, it also one of my favorite because today was the day of my high school crew team's car wash/bake sale fundraisers. This morning didn't look to promising, tropical storm (depression?) Danny was going up along the East coast the night before and it was still really grey and threatening to rain. That did not bode well for people wanting to donate money to get their car sponge washed behind an Exxon station, but we plowed on like the steadfast rowers we are. In the end, my first job ended up being selling baked goods from a basket while patrolling a median in the middle of a busy road, apart from losing my voice and extreme diaphragm pains from shouting for an hour straight, it turned out to be a surprising success. Despite the cross country team competing with us across the street, we still did well. By the way, a little background- apparently the gas station we were at doubled booked us with cross country, but since we technically booked first we got the spot. This probably intensified the little competition between us and XC and you can guess fundraising wars can get quite intense. I still had three people just give me $20 without evening taking some cookies and whatnot and many other people who paid $5 for one brownie, needless to say, it was a good day. But probably the highlight for me was the little kick line me and two of my friends did to draw attention on said busy road, judging from the many smiles we got, I can confidently say we made a few commuter's days a little better. But in the end, the most important thing for us was that this was a fundraiser and happily, we possibly set a new record for ourselves. By the end of the day, we had made $1,021.41 which is not bad for 6 hours of playful work and a day which ended up being pleasantly sunny; sure, my legs hurt still from all the running, jumping and kick-lining but hey, it's worth it, and I can comfortably say we beat XC this time.

Also, just to clear things up, I don't have anything against XC, it's just competitive between us. Heck, all the guys I've liked, and I mean ALL of them including Ben have run or are running XC. I guess I have something for runners then, eh?

But yeah, today was an eventful and productive day, and if if nature wanted to just make my day a wee bit more exciting, it's storming right now, thunder, lightning, the whole lot, so thank you, mother nature. Unfortunately, my dog, Max, does not approve of this weather as he has gone into his terrified-destructive mode where he attempts to hide and will not let anything get in his way. We've locked him in a bathroom so he doesn't damage anything or himself for that matter until the worst of it passes. Finally, to wrap up this week, tomorrow will be my aunt's 60th birthday dinner so that means another family gathering and for me, time to have talk time with one of my cousins who is also in his spare time teaching me to drive stick shift. I have a long way to go haha.

Also, Maria, if you're reading this, "Hi" and send me a FB message. Maria's my best friend by the way, she's the first person I came out to and the first person I've told this blog about to. Random, I know.

I'm really tired so I'm probably going to go take a nap or something before I try and get some more of my last minute summer work done.

5 comments:

  1. By any chance were any of them shirtless? lol
    Hello My name is Ethan from A Black Closet Case

    I like your blog so far
    Take Care

    Ethan

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi, i'm catching up with my followers (thanks btw) and i'm going to mention you in my next post. would you like to exchange links?

    let me know :)
    torchy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ethan - are you referring to the XC guys?
    Well, their "tradition" I guess is that they go out and try and get people to go to their car wash by running up to cars or standing on a corner in nothing but their running shorts. (really, really short btw) Sometimes they have stuff written on their chests and occasionally posters but yeah, they like to put on a show for passing motorists. So if that is what you're referring to, then yes, they were shirtless...and nearly shorts-less too, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah I was.
    Hmm sounds like some nice eye candy lol

    ReplyDelete