Friday, November 13, 2009

Hello Beautiful!

Finally, it's Friday. Tests are done, essays have been turned in, projects reviews and ready to be revised one last time. This past week has been pretty busy, but I made it through first quarter in one piece and well solid in the grades department. On Thursday, my school held "academic achievement" awards which pretty much means if you managed a 3.8 or higher in the previous school year, you get recognition. Last year, we had a grading scale change which made getting a better grade easier, by a lot. This meant while last year the awards recognized the top 12% or so, this year it meant the top 25%, not cool. The award lost a good bit of it's value since the 3.8GPA guideline did not change to meet the new grading scale, people who previously never would have qualified now do, and that annoys me and my friends since some people who are complete slackers are being recognized.

Anyways, now that I've vented, I would like to make a confession. It isn't something I am too terribly proud of nor something I am overtly ashamed of, but nevertheless, it's something I try to not draw too much attention to. I am a Twilight fan. For those of you who don't know what Twilight is, it's a series of novels revolving around a girl Bella, who falls in love with a vampire, Edward, and what goes on as she gains too much insight into the vampire world. And also there's some werewolves, a secret super-vampire led international vampire governing body, sick cars and glittery skin just for laughs (okay, maybe this last bit was kinda a synopsis mess but you get the idea). A couple of my friends begged be a few years ago to buy the first novel by Stephanie Meyer and read it because it was so good. I ended up buying it at an airport book shop and read it while I was on holiday in Puerto Rico, and you know what, it was pretty awesome. The story, while hardly what I would call prize worthy, was engaging, full of fun twists and turns and made me want to keep reading, something that is difficult for me to do. Afterwards, I ended up buying the rest of the books in the series, but they were less than satisfactory to say the least, especially compared to the first book. I really wish that Meyer actually just ended the story in that first book but I guess it needed to be drawn out.

Taylor Lautner

So fast forward to today, or more correctly, the past few months. In case you don't know, the Twilight movie came out last year and this November, its sequel, New Moon, is being released. The first movie was kinda a cinematic mess but this one promises to be better due to a bigger budget but also because it will see the increased role of a certain Mr. Taylor Lautner. He will be playing werewolf Jacob Black in the movie and can I say, may we have a round of applause for washboard abs?

My god is he cute/hot whatever! Now, technically, the reader/viewer is supposed to almost hate Jacob Black in some way for trying to steal Bella from her boyfriend Edward when he leaves for Italy because of special reasons, but comon, what do you think is going to happen once people get an eyeful of him? No offence to Robert Pattinson who plays supposedly hyper dreamy vamp Edward, but there is no competition here. I don't understand why girls even find him attractive, to me, he's too pasty, his hair is an absolute mess at all times, he has pine cones for eyebrows and to me at least, he isn't particularly good looking. So, even if New Moon turns out to be even more of a mess than Twilight movie-wise, I won't mind this winter as long as Taylor gets plenty of screen time (preferably shirtless) and the cars are good. About the cars, apparently Edward who drove a hatchback Volvo C30 in Twilight, has switched to a a Volvo XC60, which is an SUV. This is despite the fact he didn't change cars one bit in all the novels. Bleh, petty details in the end.
Robert Pattinson

This is becoming a long post so I will stop here. I hope everyone enjoys their weekend. Also, I do recommend reading the first book, Twilight, by Stephanie Meyer if you haven't yet. I promise you won't think it's boring or too girly, it's a book for Pete's sake and gender-labels should be avoided in all situations anyway. Head off to your local library or ask your friends to borrow their copy, it's worth it.

All the best,

JP

1 comment:

  1. I don't think it's for me BUT Taylor is HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT I mean come on Taylor vs Robert that's not even a comparison at all.

    ReplyDelete