Saturday, December 15, 2012

The End of Study Abroad: Vi Ses Denmark

I can still remember clearly as day the first time I walked into this house. I still can feel the warm sun on my skin, the light breeze, and the perfect 70 degree temperature. I still remember starting to unpack everything, unsure of what to expect out of the next four months of my life and the people I would meet, the classes I would be taking, and whether I would love my time here or hate it. Today, exactly four months to the day, I sit in my room with it looking like it did the first day I arrived: the desks are clear, my suitcases on the ground full of clothes, and me wondering if everything around me was reality or just a dream.

Where did the last four months go? Did they even happen?

Four months ago I was excited, scared, and nervous; today I am conflicted. I'm ready to go home. I miss my family, my friends, my dog, my car, but I also feel like I'm leaving my family all over again. I cannot even begin to describe my gratitude to my host family and everything they have done for me. They took me, a complete stranger, into their home, their family, and their culture with a level of warmth and openness I have never experienced before. I was their first host child so I can only imagine what their expectations were when they picked me up from the airport. I can only hope I lived up them.

Looking back at everything I did and saw in the span of a semester makes me dizzy. I saw a nation from head to toe, travelled to Paris, to Hungary, and to Austria. I made dozens of new friends, tried new things, and even did a little learning along the way. Even with all the photos on Facebook and the stories in my head I can now tell, it still all feels like I was in some dream, some massive, beautiful, surreal dream, and I don't want to wake up.

Angels, both of them
I can only hope I won't cry when I say good bye at the airport tomorrow. 

JP

3 comments:

  1. It's okay to cry when you say good bye, especially since you don't know for sure if you'll have a chance to see them again.

    I hope you will make every effort to stay in touch with them as long as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any great life experience should have at least some sadness in it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like you have had quite the experience. We share parts of our lives in different places with so many people who come for their season and then are gone. All of them are for a reason and purpose. Carry these memories and lessons in your heart. They will serve you in good stead to inspire you to even greater ones made. Safe travels and happy pondering.

    daemon

    ReplyDelete