Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Compliments

Odd question: how do you respond to compliments?

It seems silly to ask, I know, but I've actually had multiple occasions where I've stood there while talking to someone like some deer caught in headlights after being complimented. I know the obvious answer would be something like "thanks" followed by an awkward laugh, but that just seems weird and kind of rude to me. I don't like to acknowledge something about myself which receives praise, whether it be physical attributes or something I did; it just doesn't sit well with me.

I think the only reason I find it weird is that most of the time, especially if it's because of my appearance, is that I don't feel like I did anything. I didn't exactly have control as to how I ended up looking and me putting on clothes is basically deciding what colour I feel like wearing that particular day. See? No work. Since there isn't anything I did, getting a "You're cute" or "Wow you look great" from friends or complete strangers puts me in a very awkward position with me avoiding eye contact, laughing nervously, and trying to escape. Fail. At least when I get complimented on my work I feel better about it and can muster a "Thank You" since I feel that I did something but even then it still sits awkwardly with me.

So, how do you handle compliments? I figure some people have the ability to take it in stride but I don't know many people who do personally.

All the best,

JP

3 comments:

  1. It's a compliment, take it and go.

    Or give it back to the guy if he's cute and you're flirty, or if the complimenter is a girl, say it back and it'll make her day. Or anyone's day.

    Point is: Take it and give it away as much as you can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Give a little smile and say 'Why, thank you very much!' and continue the conversation without making a big deal of it. Best to be gracious and accept compliments about your youthful good looks. In public look around you; 90% of people you see on the street are well past the 'best before' date or were not blessed with good genes to begin with. I'm much more annoyed by people who think they are God's gift to the world. - Wayne :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha. Well, I can't say that I've really had the challenge of receiving "your cute"-type compliments in my life. However, I read (or I heard) somewhere that pushing back against a compliment is rude and thoughtless towards the person giving it. Better to simply and sincerely give a heartfelt "thank you for saying so" and allow the person giving the compliment to feel good.

    ReplyDelete