Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Sophomore Year Part 2

I just started week two of my second semester and it looks like this will be a very busy, but interesting one. For the first time in a year I have classes five days a week, but I only have one on Friday thankfully. I'm taking German II, Marketing, Macroeconomics, International Trade, and Business Financial Management this year. All my classes ended up being spread out quite evenly throughout the week and I have time for a solid lunch and a nap if I want every day. My earliest class is German at 10 Monday ,Wednesday and Friday, otherwise my days start at 11. I pretty much finish each day around 6 so I have plenty of time for dinner and hopefully the gym as well; my goal is 3-5 times a week which is reasonable I think.

As for professors, collectively they seem like a solid bunch, but I'll give it a few more weeks before I come to any conclusions. My German professor seems nice enough, but after my professor for intro I last year, she has big shoes to fill. My Macro professor has a heavy Minnesota accent while my Marketing professor has a French-Canadian accent and drops and adds in the letter "h" in words when he is not supposed to which is pretty endearing.  My I-Trade professor is kinda scatterbrained which I hope won't hurt me too much since that is one class I need to do well in. I'm hoping he's just nervous or something, otherwise we're going to have a problem. I just need to do well in general this semester since the business school curve and classes which I honestly didn't care much for first semester made me take a hit to my GPA which I'm not too happy about.

Since coming back to school, I've also gotten the ball rolling on my study abroad plans for Fall of my junior year. I hope to study in Copenhagen, Denmark if I get into the program I want. I started doing research last semester and decided on it since it let me take the business courses I needed and also allowed me the greatest freedom in exploring Europe. If all goes well, me and two of my close friends will all be going to Denmark in Fall which would be so sick. The past week or so, I've been getting all my forms in order, I contacted the two professors who I wanted to do my recommendation (my German and Management professors from last semester) and set up a meeting with my study abroad advisor so everything will be in order. I know the program I'm going for is pretty competitive so I really hope I get in. I really want to do a lot of work in Europe so this would really help me get a taste of what's in store for my future if I get accepted.

Outside of class, I'm still doing publicity work for some of the theatre groups on campus. The show I'm currently working on is premiering in less than a month so I'll have plenty of work organizing the cast and the rest of the production staff soon. I also got asked to be publicity director for the university theatre department's production of Macbeth this Spring which is a huge opportunity for me to prove myself and gain some major credibility and resume points. Grilling Society is still on pause for the winter, at least until the first snow fall which, upsettingly, we still haven't had in the D.C. area. I sure as hell hope something big is in store for us since this has been a pretty pathetic winter so far.

Alright, well, I need to get caught up on my readings so I'll leave you guys now. Sorry for the inconsistent posting, I'll try and get to a more regular and frequent schedule soon once things settle down here.

All the best,

JP

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you're thinking of studying abroad. It seems like you have a lot on your plate right now in terms of academics, but I'm sure you'll be able to handle it all well. :)

    I'm currently studying in Italy right now (it's been exactly a week since I've been here). I must say that it's a very exciting experience and I can't wait to see what the days and months bring! So I definitely do hope you get your intended program this Fall. Good luck! Be sure to check out my travel blog: http://thetravelingthought.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you and KC are on the same wave-length with studying abroad and getting in some travel too. Business and theater; maybe you have a future in both! - Wayne :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck on the Fall Semester Abroad as well as this semester's courses. Just try to find out what the I-Trade prof will expect for a good grade and do what you have to to reach the expectation. If it means being more self-reliant than in courses where the profs lay it all out for you, well, being self-reliant is not a bad thing.

    ReplyDelete