Monday, August 29, 2011

Grindr



Have you ever gotten that uncomfortable sinking feeling when you realize that you've stumbled upon something you probably shouldn't have? Well, that seems to be happening quite a lot recently. On my ipod touch I have an app called Grindr, now if you don't know what Grindr is (and based on the readers and audience of this blog I expect that most have at least heard of it) it's a app for gay guys to find each other using the GPS function on an iphone or ipod touch with wifi. The tame use is for finding friends while the more scandalous use of Grindr is that it's used for hookups and sex. A few months ago I downloaded Grindr and put up a profile; I got a lot of responses from creepy old guys and eventually just deleted it. A few days ago after I got back on campus, I decided to reinstall the app and see what would pop up, well, I found some interesting things.

First would be one of the RAs from my freshman year dorm. Now, he was openly gay and had a strange relationship with a thirtysome year old guy (repeat: STRANGE). But just seeing him on there is funny enough. Someone else I found is one of Liz's friends who I've asked before whether he was gay or not. He's not my type or anything but it was a curiosity I had, he was campy. Well, Liz told me that he wasn't and that he was a bit of a Casanova, well, this guy shows up as well. Even stranger is that he used his actual name which I thought broke Grindr rule no.1....

In addition to those I found a few other people who were only a few hundred feet away from me, one of whom messaged me this morning. Some I'm pretty sure are freshmen at the dorm next door while a few are probably in the upper classmen quad I'm part of. I don't have anything specific on my profile, I don't use a face pic (breaking Grindr rule no. 2...) and I try to just use it as a way to see what's going on around campus...okay, maybe I'll also use it for the occasional hookup but it's more of a "just for kicks" sort of thing for me...I promise.

JP

3 comments:

  1. LOL, you say that the most scandalous part of grindr is the "hookup and sex" part but I'd venture to say that's the number one reason for grindr...now, a lot of people will say that the reason for grindr is friends, really? cause when they don't respond to an innocent "hi" well, what exactly is it are they looking for...?

    Sex, I'd say.

    With that said, grindr is definitely hit or miss, hit some cool guys who are DTF and some who are just dicks...and I say this because the dicks are the ones who say they are friendly and looking around, but when they don't answer back...well, what's up?

    With all that said, again, I know I'm repeating myself, it's pretty damn fun app and def got me sex a couple of times, though a real relationship would have been better.

    It's fun just to see what's up...though just for my perspective, since I'm roughly where you're at, it's nicer or more preferably to say "no, I'm not interested" than it is to just ignore someone. Just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That awkward moment when you download Grindr just for shits and Apple decides to roll out iCloud and let anyone on your iTunes account see apps downloaded on other iDevices... #mylife. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me being an old guy (not creepy I hope lol) I am always suspicious of the latest digital fads cos sooner or later someone figures out a way to screw you (and not in the way you want!). Too many devious people around these days and I'd rather meet people socially face-to-face. But it would be great if you can meet a guy that you get along with who stays at the university, but does that app have a filter so you just get 18-20yr old guys? - Wayne :)

    ReplyDelete