Monday, July 18, 2011

And We Move On

I had another talk with my mom today, part of a long string of talks we've had over the future of the family and how things are proceeding between her and my dad. Today she went to talk to the husband of a close family friend; he's an attorney and is advising her in what divorce proceedings entail and the possible risks involved. I didn't go personally but when she finally got back after about four hours and looking tired both physically and emotionally, I knew quite a lot had gone down.

It looks like things are actually happening this time. She realizes it's going to be a long and drawn out fight; my dad, like me, is very stubborn and will never let himself lose, but unlike me, he doesn't know when to stop and accept a deal. The family friend is working to find my mom a good lawyer right now and time will only tell where things proceed from there. What made today different however is that she said that she was finally over "it", "it" being trying to fix the marriage that is well beyond repairability.

In approximately two weeks from today, my parents were supposed to go on their 19 day Northern Europe cruise/holiday but obviously that was cancelled. With my mom already taking those days off and me not having set my August work schedule yet, we decided that we would take our own holiday together. This evening we booked what is going to be our own summer holiday. It's a seven day cruise to the Eastern Caribbean leaving from Florida which will double as a celebration for my mom's birthday which falls right after we get back. Interestingly, the original cruise scheduled was supposed to encompass both my mom's birthday and what was supposed to be my parent's anniversary. My mom still has a few days before and after the cruise days which she is trying to figure out right now.

Both of us need this escape, her to get away from it all and me to get away from D.C. for a little while. After a while, traffic, suburbia and familiarity gets pretty monotonous, even with the company of good friends. I plan to get my fair share of fun while I'm out, beaches, fine dining, drinking and the like. The ship we're sailing on is very new too so that should be pretty cool to explore. Strange thing about cruise holidays, they never seem to get old; I think this will be number eleven for me. The goal for this holiday will be to relax, simple enough. Be both can use this.

2 comments:

  1. Too bad it had to come to that in your parents' marriage. I'm sure your mother has considered the possibility of a separation, rather than a divorce, and for some reason it's not good enough.. I hope things go well.

    Enjoy the cruise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's too bad that couples cannot end a marriage on reasonable and rational terms instead of paying a fortune to lawyers with the resulting hardened feelings, and you caught in the middle. Maybe you can contact your father and discuss with him (like mature adults) if this can be settled without a nasty and expensive court fight. He is your father and taking sides is being judgmental. You should try and stay on reasonable terms with him rather than risk estrangement down the road.
    -Kind of hard to enjoy a vacation with this mess going on, but try and have some fun anyway. bfn - Wayne

    ReplyDelete