Monday, September 13, 2010

Drag Night at the Gay Club

I had never done clubbing before, unless your definition of a club is one of those programs after school where you debate current events; rather, I had never gone to an actual club club before, the kind with music, dancing and all sorts of energy. The main reason was that I wasn’t 18 yet, most clubs won’t let anyone under that age even enter, so on Saturday, the day after my birthday, me and a group of friends decided to go clubbing.

I imagined my intro into clubbing to be a gentle one, observing form the sidelines at first, drink in hand, but I turned out to be wrong, it was a gay club, and it was drag night. Oh yes.
My friends and I (three girls and two straight guys (well, at least one of them)) went to go see The Last Exorcism first, it’s a horror flick and it made absolutely no sense but I’ll go into that another day. We then hopped onto a bus and headed down to the club. Saturday night is drag night as we soon found out, and when we walked in, that is exactly what we were greeted by, drag queens. One was singing when we entered, then one did a comedy routine (I still don’t know if she was an actual she) and one final creepy one came out and walked around the floor and caressed my face as she walked by, I guess that was my “welcome”.

We got there rather late, around 12:30 and the music started up again around 1. The music was mostly a bunch of house techno and a lot of remixes of top 40 songs which made me really happy. Unlike most dances I went to, there was absolutely no grinding music which made me really, really happy, just good dancing music and I moved like there was no tomorrow. There was a fog machine which made the lasers and lights stream across the room mid-air and a strobe light and foam “snow” which blew my mind whenever they turned it on. It was seriously one of the most memorable effects in my life.

While we were there, the crowd was mostly 20 somethings with a few older guys there though I’m pretty sure I was the youngest person in the entire building. There were many women there too, and straight women, we figured that a gay club was the perfect place for women to go to and dance and have fun without having creepy men hit on them, for the most part that is. My friend Maudry had a creepy guy start dancing behind her and had to retreat behind our cover to escape him. That is why we go in groups.

Because we were under 21, we got big letters drawn on our hands in black ink to show we couldn’t have alcohol so we got some soda at the bar ($3 for a cup) at around 1:30. And just for full disclosure, I know to never accept a drink from a stranger and to watch the bartender just in case. We talked about how much for fun this was compared to going to parties and how we noticed pretty much everyone there was there to have fun and let loose.

By the time we left around 2:30, we were all hungry so we stopped by Five Guys for some fries and to get something to drink before heading back to campus where we had a giant group Lady Gaga study session until about 5AM (We’re weird, I know. But this was just the start of it). When I got back to my dorm, my roommate and one of our joint friends were in our room, they too had a crazy night by the looks of it. My roommate was giddy to say the least and was swaying when he walked, he would have failed a sobriety test within 3 seconds.

Me and our joint friend (who too was drunk, but less so I believe) were trying to calm my roommate down who by then kept saying he was hungry. I made him some ramen, cookies and milk and Pringles and made sure he drank plenty of water. He had also hurt himself when he hopped a fence by messing up his left leg and scratching up his arm which me and my friend also tended to via some Neosporin. I watched over him until 6:30 when I convinced him to go to bed. By this time, I had been awake for about 21 hours and was quite tired myself, I was running off the adrenaline from the club. I fell asleep around 6:45AM and eventually woke up around noon. I’m used to getting less than optimal amounts of sleep so it wasn’t too hard for me.

So there went my very eventful night, horror movie, clubbing and nursing my roommate, I probably have a good enough story to tell my grandkids.

School has started up again and that means getting back to work. I’ve managed to cope relatively well, I’ve gotten decent amounts of sleep, I’m not too stressed and with the lack of crew to eat up 4 hours of my day, I’ve made great progress in spreading out work. I even made time to join my college’s Pride club and Club Fencing whose first practice was today. It was actually really fun and interesting, we learned the basic stance and advancing and retreating. We’ll be learning more on Wednesday when our next meeting will take place. Also, the club co-president is hot! He’s a junior and wears these really fitted shirts that show off his defined chest and flat and likely abtastic stomach. Yum!

Anyways, I’m going to go back and do some more work. I hope you have an excellent week!

All the best,


JP

3 comments:

  1. Sounds cool to be 18 yo in this way :-). I thinks that shadows of the night and terrific noise spreading everywhere in such a place would be just fine for me to feel, maybe, at ease. I know nothing about dancing and almost nothing about (this) music but I should try, one day.

    Thanks for sharing and have a good week too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you handled that very well and had good fun. Keep in mind that someone slipping something into your drink at clubs is always a possibility, so never let a drink out of your sight. And watch out for lounge lizards preying on young guys; stick to guys around your own age and let these guys know that. And talk to your roomie about moderation when he parties cos it is not worth paying the price the next day lol. Yup, back to the grind until next weekend. bfn - Wayne :)

    ReplyDelete