Sunday, October 14, 2012

Homesick

Well here's a flash of surprise for a change: I'm actually horribly homesick right now. Not so much homesick for my home home in Virginia, but homesick for my university.

I came to this realization a few days ago after realizing just how few shits some professors give here. It might sound strange, but I really miss the rigor, structure, and challenge of classes back at my home Uni. I miss having professors who are actually interested in teaching and want to help their students succeed. I miss being able to ask questions and expect a reasonably prompt response. I miss being pushed to my limits and having others around me feel the same way about the work we're doing.

I miss actual work and I miss being surrounded by people who care about work.

I also miss my campus. I miss being able to roll out of bed and be surrounded by other students. I miss having my little corners of campus where I can hide out and work by myself or with some close friends or just enjoy some coffee and listen to some music. I miss the gym, the classrooms, and the feeling of community. I even kinda miss the dining hall (even though it has gone to crap...again).

Don't get me wrong, I love Denmark. My host family is wonderful, the trip to their holiday home was brilliant, and meeting my host-grandma actually put one of the biggest smiles on my face since coming here, but I really, really want to fly back for some reason.

Not only do I miss my friends, but I also really miss Brandon. We haven't talked in a while but that whole summer really left an impact on me. I didn't expect that this would happen as forcefully as it has; it really came out of left field quite honestly. I just wonder if he's feeling the same way.

It's weird that of all times for homesickness to strike it would be now, nearly two months after arriving.




JP

2 comments:

  1. Maybe it's hitting now because the novelty has worn off.

    At least you know you'll be back at your university fairly soon, and if nothing else this gives you some nice travel experiences. As for the educational side of it, if the profs don't force you, maybe you can force yourself a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll be back before long, but in the meantime try and get in touch with Brandon more often. - Wayne :)

    ReplyDelete