Monday, September 17, 2012

This Blog

Looking back at some of my old feeds, I realized just how long this blog has been going on for and just how much has changed in the blog world since I started writing back in high school. So many bloggers have left while many have also come in and begun their own blogs and are sharing their stories with the world.

So many people who I had found so helpful, especially years ago when coming out was still an unspeakable thing in my mind, have stopped blogging. Bloggers like Dzyan, Jason Carwin, and many others who helped me in my development and maturation into the young adult I am now have unfortunately left the blogging world. Maybe they still follow many blogs and just no longer write, I don't know, but what I do want to say to all of them is: Thank You.

Even though many of you may never know how much you helped me and so many others by sharing your stories and life events, you should know that you really made a difference. As a 16 or 17 year old still trying to figure out the whole "gay thing" nearly four years ago now, I found great comfort in knowing there were others out there who were going through exactly what I was going through or had gone through it before. Whether it was just reading about their experiences or even going deeper and talking outside of the blog world, all of it helped to make my coming out experience that much better, and for that I'm grateful.

To everyone who is still in the blog world and I have had the pleasure of reading about, talking with, and getting to know these last few years, you too deserve just as big of a thanks. It's strange that through the power of the internet that such a strong community was formed. Granted, I have met nobody in person, yet I feel that I still know many of you. Reading your posts and comments is something I actually enjoy doing. It lets me escape for a brief time from the stress of school work and my daily routine and relax a little. I know I don't comment much, as least not as much as before, but I do check up on almost all the blogs I follow. I take the time to read what you have written not because I feel obligated to do so, but because I want to.

I really hope to keep this blog going for many years to come. If not for my own personal benefit, to chronicle the things that are going on in my life and to maybe one day look back on and reminisce about the crazy/funny/stupid/brilliant things I did, but also for the benefit of others. Maybe there is some high schooler who is quietly reading this blog today, scared to come out or accept who they are, but if I can make even the smallest impact and help them like so many current and ex-bloggers did for me through blogging, everything, all of the over 400 posts I've written so far, would be worth it.

All the best,

JP

2 comments:

  1. Although a lot of straight people are more gay-friendly these days it is still a risky proposition to be honest about one's sexuality in some situations. It is the gay community who truly understands us and lends support. We work and pay taxes the same as everyone else, and sexuality should not be raising any eyebrows. Not to mention that one's personal life is not everyone else's business anyway. Find a circle of gay friends and nurture it; in a way that is like having family, people who watch your back. - Wayne :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've enjoyed your blog very much JP. Blogging in general seems to be somewhat out of fashion but I believe the longer, more developed posts are much more meaningful than the social media outlets. Please do keep writing. You're a great young man with a lot to offer the world.

    ReplyDelete