Thursday, August 2, 2012

Chick-Fil-A: My Opinion



There's been so much media coverage on this whole Chick Fil-A anti gay marriage business for weeks now that I'm really starting to get sick of it. I thought I'd just provide some of my thoughts on the subject.

Personally, I couldn't care less if the President of Chick-Fil-A supports gay marriage or not. Like anyone else, he is entitled to his opinions and we should respect them. To me, as a gay man, it wouldn't be fair for me to demand to be respected for my lifestyle and then crucify someone just because theirs doesn't fall into line with mine. We all have a multitude of opinions which should be able to be expressed freely. We have the luxury of living in a country where conflicting ideas can coexist and people should be able to express their points of view without receiving death threats or be called unspeakable things. Unfortunately, this isn't always true. Chick-Fil-A has always been a very Christian business since its founding in 1947. They have never made an attempt to hide this fact, and honestly, I'm surprised how surprised some others are at this sudden revelation. Sure, I was as slightly shocked as anyone when I first found out that they don't open on Sundays, but did I honestly care? No. Did you honestly think a company that prints bible verses on their cups would support gay marriage? Snarky question, I know, but suddenly deciding to stop eating there after 5 years and picking up a sign to protest because you simply didn't pay attention is too little too late.

In my eyes, I couldn't give a damn about the personal beliefs of who makes my food or of the leadership as long as it doesn't mar the quality of what I come to a restaurant for in the first place: the food. Chick-Fil-A makes a damn good chicken sandwich and kick ass waffle fries, and if I'm craving that, I will go there and get a sandwich. I'm pretty sure the teenage cashier isn't spinning my Oreo shake with hatred and bigotry, and if they are, it tastes really, really good and needs to be used more (kidding). Honest question: If I go in to a Chick-Fil-A as a gay man and not cause a ruckus, will they refuse to serve me? $10 says they won't. Nowhere is it stated in Chick-Fil-A's mission statement that they will not serve gay individuals.

What has happened recently with people protesting Chick-Fil-A because of a belief held by its President, a devout Christian man, is ridiculous. The intersection of religion and societal issues and human rights has always been a tricky thing to deal with. Should all companies who have Christian leadership or leaders who don't support gay marriage be protested? For example, should all Muslim owned business be boycotted? Homosexuality isn't exactly all peachy in the eyes of Sharia law in case you didn't know. Given that fact, let's boycott all Muslim owned businesses too. Does that make any sense? Not at all.

Another luxury we have by living in this country is the right of choice. Our food choices aren't monopolized by the government or a single corporation. Instead of boycotting, protesting, and sending hateful messages and death threats trying to get a company to change their ways, just don't eat at or patronize whatever establishment you're so incensed with. Nobody is forcing you shove waffle fries in your mouth. For me, I'm more concerned with my food tasting good and receiving courteous service no matter the beliefs of those serving me. If they can't provide a high level of service over their views of something like my right to marry, a business doesn't deserve my patronage and I won't return, but I'm not going to flip a shit and picket their business, because quite honestly I have better things to do with my life. We're still talking about a restaurant now, remember that.

Something I must also point out is that everyone protesting needs to stop and look at the consequences of their actions on the innocent people caught in the middle - mostly the restaurant employees. Do the bottom level cashiers, cooks, and staff deserve the ridicule and hate that they have received for working for this company? I'm positive many of them are just trying to make a living and not because they wanted to work for a devout Christian business, yet as they are the face of the company most of us interact with, they unfortunately also receive the brunt of the hate. I pity them since they don't deserve that one bit.

Don't turn a chicken sandwich of all things into a symbol of hatred. If you feel more strongly about the President of a restaurant chain's beliefs than if the taste and quality of the food itself, then I honestly don't know what to say. Do you go to a restaurant to hear a sermon? No, you go to a restaurant to eat and be full.

I honestly can't wait for this whole Chick-Fil-A issue to blow over and be done with. I'm not going to stop going to my local restaurant; like I said, they make a mean chicken sandwich and a killer shake.

JP

4 comments:

  1. But it goes beyond that, does it not? Chick-fil-A is donating money to organizations that "pray the gay away" or want gay citizens out of this country one way or another. That's the real issue, not Dan Cathy's stance on marriage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, but that's still their prerogative. I don't believe in it obviously, but it's their money and they should be free to use it as they like. Even if Chick-Fil-A lost half their customers, their donations would continue until they legally can't anymore. Protests can hurt a brands image, sure, but for the majority of people, they really could care less. They just want good food and will return no matter what. From our view, what these donations go to is wrong, but for many others it is just fine. My prediction is that soon these types of therapies will eventually be outlawed, but until then, telling people what they can or can not do with their own money legally as defined by law would go against all sorts of freedoms we all cherish.

      For now, protesting only enthuses the opposition as evidenced by the huge success of Chick-Fil-A Appreciation Day. If you really dislike a company's stance, just don't eat there, but suddenly stopping just because you find out about something a company has has been doing publicly for years is just silly. Also, just as a side note, for a company that brings in over $4B in revenue a year, the amount a single customer contributes through a purchase is borderline negligible, let alone any amount towards what is ultimately donated. It's not a pretty thing to think about, but objectively it has to be said.

      Delete
    2. Also, the current uproar stemmed from Cathy's recent publicly announced stance on marriage. While the issue may be deeper, few of those upset, apart from the better informed such as yourself, are protesting for reasons apart from his stance on marriage.

      Delete
  2. Sorry JP, but bigoted Christian (and Muslim etc) views have done tremendous damage to homosexuals over centuries. Think about the millions of homosexuals of the past who have suffered in silence or in public, the heartache and pain they have endured, and gone to the grave thinking they are wicked people because of who they love. This 'God's judgement' crap from these self-righteous power-hungry hypocrites makes me sick and they will be the first in line to the hell they believe in.
    -Religious scripture was written thousands of years ago from a tribal and parochial viewpoint by superstitious people with little scientific knowledge. Homosexuality was discouraged at a time when most people didn't make it past 40 and the population of the whole world was far less than a billion. Using these Biblical passages for justification of anti-gay propaganda is ludicrous in this day and age when we know our insignificant place in this obscenely vast universe.
    -This bigoted billionaire man is using his money and power to promote his anti-gay agenda and you better let this asshole know where you stand; he can take his bigoted heart-attack food empire and shove it up his straight ass. I remember how I was made to feel as a young closeted homosexual teen growing up and that is a bitterness I will take to my grave. Give no quarter to those who try to take away the dignity of homosexuals on the basis of religion; expose these McCarthy-like figures for what they are; the kind of people Jesus despised. - Wayne :|

    ReplyDelete