Tuesday, May 1, 2012

The End of Sophomore Year

Yesterday was my last day of classes which was a bittersweet moment for me. I've officially finished over half of my undergraduate college life. I still remember moving into my freshman dorm as if it was yesterday. I remember the excitement, the fear, the sadness, and the uncertainty of what the next four years of my life held for me.

Fast forward two years and now I've now completed 21 classes, written numerous papers, taken dozens of exams, joined numerous clubs, learned another language, and despite how over said it is, made so many friends, and hopefully many of these will be life-long.

I thought freshman year was fast, but my sophomore year has flown by even quicker it seems. I didn't have that awkward period at the beginning of the Fall semester where I was unsure of what to do for my classes, the etiquette of walking around campus, or how I want to get involved. Compared to then, I feel like I rule this place. It's a nice feeling.

In a little over three months, I'll be boarding a plane to Copenhagen, Denmark which will mark another adventure in my life. It will be a new culture, a new land, a new group of people to meet, to eat with, to speak to, to dance with, and to learn with. Right now, I feel like I did during the period leading up to my freshman year of college - afraid, excited, and the thrilled by the uncertainty of a cloudy future. I feel like I'm standing on the edge of a cliff about to take a plunge into a cloudy void. I don't know what I will find but I think when the time comes, I'll dive head first and immerse myself into what this crazy world of ours has to offer.

I was originally going to post about my experience last night. It was the end of year banquet for the theatre group I'm involved with I just got inducted into. There was a formal dinner, speeches, and dancing, drinking, and poor decisions abound. I was going to go in depth as to how distraught I was about how I shouldn't have hooked up with that guy and how I was way too drunk to function, but now I see that was all trivial and unimportant. Yes, having a physical connection with someone for other may be a large point of turmoil, and while it did for a me at least initially, I now realize that there are much more important things that will shape my future and that I will actually remember and care about than some one night stand. Last night was fun and I needed to get it out of my system before exams, but really, it didn't deserve the full post that it deserved.

My focus now will be on what matters. My study period has begun; I have five exams starting on Monday which I need to study for, I need to find a job closer to home for the summer, and I need to finish this year with a bang.

I hope everything is going well wherever you are.

All the best,

JP


3 comments:

  1. I'm sure you'll have a good time in Denmark.

    Remember to spend enough time studying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, this post brought so much of my own memories...I'm now nostalgic sad. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope your final exams go well. Me, I'm retired and enjoying my freedom (and modifying my Street Triple R). Too drunk to function lol; booze gives the desire but not the performance! No more than 2 beers if sex is on your mind for the evening. - Wayne :)

    ReplyDelete