Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Politics: A Proper Time, Place, and Way

A prominent politician is coming to visit my school tomorrow and is taking time to speak to an assembly of students. While it's a pretty common occurrence at my school, we'll say this politician is a bit more controversial and noteworthy.

While most speakers draw crowds to hear them speak, this occasion is different. Recently, what has really been bothering me is that there is a large and growing number of students here who have organized a protest to having the politician come speak on campus. In addition to that, there has been talk (and I'm hoping it stays that, just talk) for some people to even heckle this politician during their speech. This really hit a nerve for me since beyond just being unnecessary, it's absolutely ludicrous in my mind that people would even do such a thing. I'm all for exercising one's right to assemble and also for free speech but this raises a different issue. I've worked on a newspaper and been involved in my fair share of causes so I'm more than familiar with that kind of stuff, but it's the whole time, place, and way that's bothering me. À mon avis, if you're really so opposed to what someone stands for or believes, express your reasons it in a thoughtful, respectful, and proper way and give that person a chance to respond.

A message to my fellow students: just because a visiting politician's beliefs don't necessarily reflect your own doesn't mean that you should heckle him during his speech, protest, or disrespect his taking time to speak to an audience. If you want to express your grievances, there's a proper time, place, and way to do so. If you were saying something that other's didn't agree with and they decided to rally and jeer, snap at, and attack you, how would you feel? What you're doing is unnecessary, and more importantly reflects poorly on our school, student population, and the values of equality, acceptance, being respectful, and diversity we stand for, including diversity in viewpoints and opinions.

Keep it classy my friends.

1 comment:

  1. While the right to free speech should be defended, that right ends when it crosses the line to hate speech directed at an identifiable minority. Hate speech is also used under the guise of religious freedom. Homosexuals and people who are gay-friendly should not be ignored or dissed by politicians, cos this is a large voting group around 10-20%. And I always vote for the most gay-friendly party!. - Wayne :)

    ReplyDelete