Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Judas Kiss

Apart from Netflix being one of the few reasons I haven't gone insane at school/why I end up staying up until 3AM working every night, it also has the added bonus of having a decent LGBT movie section. One of my favorite movies, Latter Days, is available to stream on Netflix but recently another movie popped up: Judas Kiss.



I remember watching the trailer for Judas Kiss a few months back and ended really wanting to see it, but as it wasn't out yet/was going to be DVD only, I let it drift into the recesses of my mind. Well, last night I stumbled across it while mindless browsing for something to watch before bed. The movie stars Charlie David, Richard Harmon, and Sean Paul Lockhart (aka Brent Corrigan which 99% of gay guys know for other reasons). It's a small independent film so I wasn't expecting anything too spectacular but by the end, I was pleasantly surprised. The tag line of the movie is "If you had a second chance, would you grab it?" which is what the main story of the film revolves around. Not giving away too much of the plot, Zach, played by Charlie David, is a 30-something filmmaker who is asked to judge a student film-festival where he meets Danny Reyes, played by Richard Harmon, a student who submitted the film "Judas Kiss". The twist is, Zach's real name is Danny Reyes who also submitted the film "Judas Kiss" 15 years prior and won; it's implied that the two are the same person at two different points in life. Zach's goal is then to try and stop his college self from winning the festival as his life went to crap after the win.



I know my summary might sound very messy and unappealing, but the film contains too many details to encapsulate in a short paragraph. What you need to know is that while not quite the spectacular-level achievement of Shelter, my favorite LGBT movie and one that is also in full on Youtube, it's still very good. Harmon does a great job in this movie, showing a great ability to portray the dark as well as light, sympathy-tugging sides of Danny. Corrigan also does a good job as he convincingly plays the likable and adorable Chris who has a crush on Danny. It is kind of funny to see him in this kind of role but from my non-expert view, he could and should branch out into mainstream media more. So, the good actors, surprisingly smooth integration of storylines, enjoyably hot selection of scenes, and not at all overwhelming drama make this a movie I would definitely recommend watching if you're looking for a LGBT themed film. As I said, it's on Netflix if you have an account and I wouldn't be surprised if it's also elsewhere on the web.

You can find more information on www.judaskissmovie.com

JP

2 comments:

  1. wanted to watch this movie since I saw the trailer/know Brent Corrigan was in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Other than the token 'Glee', tv is a total wasteland concerning LGBT themes. Even the 'Independent' film channel rarely comes up with a gay film. So we must rummage around other sources for the sexual reinforcement that heterosexuals take for granted. More nauseating still are the disproportionate number of gay actors doing hetero movie roles lol (think Rock Hudson!). - Wayne :)

    ReplyDelete