Sunday, February 5, 2012

Tease

Hey guys, it's been a while but I'm glad to report things are going pretty smoothly here in DC. With classes in full swing, I've finally gotten a better picture of the professors I'm dealing with and also the classes themselves. I've come to realize that I really enjoy marketing and macroeconomics a lot. Marketing is really interesting and fun subject that, while being bashed by many business schoolers, is actually one of the best courses I've taken so far. The professor also could be gay as I've discussed with one my my friends who is in my class. He's also not half bad looking haha. Macro has also surprised me with how fun it's been. Compared to microecon, which was the bane of my existence last year partially due to a lacklustre professor, macro is infinitely more understandable and practical. My finance class has also been really cool so far. Considering I'm planning for finance to be one of my majors, I really hoped that I like the class, and I'm glad to report I am. My professor is kind of crazy, he likes to bash on state schools in a joking manor but he weaves in personal experiences and actually makes participating easy. Somehow, that man has made calculating the values of annuities, perpetuities and Future values...fun. Scary. As for my other classes, International trade has been relatively smooth; it's difficult to say the least but I'm grasping the concepts in class. German has been German, I found out that I likely won't be able to take German while abroad so this might be my last semester which is sad but not devastating as ending French was for me a few years back.

Aside from classes, school life has been pretty good. Friend drama has been playing out as normal with friend/enemy relations being formed and broken as often as the sun rises and sets. Honestly, I try to avoid it as much as possible since I have better things to do than get involved in crap that will only hurt me in the long run. I've also kept up with my resolution to go to the gym 3-5 times a week, mostly with the motivation of my friend Liz who comes with me. We just tell each other we need to be ready for shirtless volleyball on the front lawn once Spring comes around.

*               *               *

This past Friday was the first day I actually made time to indulge myself in some well deserved me-time. After my class ended at 11, I took a nap and then around 2 went to the Washington Auto Show at the convention center. Last year was the first time that I missed the show since I started going when I was 10 so I was determined to go this time. The show was pretty good; there were a fair amount of concept cars out there but nothing really blew my mind except for a few. I sat in some of the few models that are brand new or that I'd been wanting to for a while, like the Audi S7, 2013 Lexus GS, Range Rover Evoque, and the Fiat 500. I even got to ride in a 500 in a handling course they set up in the convention center itself. It was really sick. Here's some pics from the show:

The Lexus LF-LC concept, probably the car I wanted to see most at the show. It's stunning

A Ford Concept

The Domestic makers

The Fiat 500 Gucci Edition. They took an already accessory type car, and made it even more of a fashion tool.

Last night I also went out clubbing for the first time this year. After pregaming at a friend's apartment, we grabbed a cab and went to to Towne, a gay club near Howard University and U-St in DC. I had never been to this club before but had heard good things so I was really excited to go. The place was surprisingly spacious and there were gogo dancers(!) The music was also really good. When I'm drunk it really like to dance, especially to more pop-type music with a good beat which they had plenty of. I hung out with a group of my friends for a while then started dancing with a few of the the other guys.

The first guy I danced with was from AU; he was also a sophomore and was dressed really preppy with a sweater over a shirt and tie which was strange but also kinda hot. We grinded for a while but then we started doing some crazy crap with his body undulating and moving in ways that I had never seen or experienced before. It was crazy and kind of intimidating, I even lost my balance once because of his moves. Long story short, he was a a boatload of fun. After that guy, I went back to my group and noticed a guy close by who kept looking over at me. He was really good looking, slightly taller than me, dirty blond hair, and beautiful, soft blue eyes. I eventually moved my way over to him and we introduced ourselves and chatted. He graduated from the school I'm currently attending in 2010 and also did the business school. He majored in International business and OPIM and even was involved in one of the top acapella groups on campus. He's from California where he works for Google now which is a company that I wouldn't mind working for too when I graduate. All in all, he had pretty much all the characteristics I look for in a guy, both physical and mental. We even danced for a while and before I left, I got the courage to ask for his number. We texted back and forth for a bit after I left the club too. What sucks is though is that I know in all likelihood I will never see him again. It was such a tease for life to deal me such a card. I talked to Liz about it and she said not to give up, that things happen for a reason and maybe our paths will cross again so hey, maybe I'll run into him in my travels one day. Viewed as a whole, Friday was a very solid day in my book.

On Saturday, I went home to spend an evening with Maria because her birthday is coming up. We spent a night relishing each other's company by seeing Beauty and the Beast in 3-D and getting Korean food. Seeing the movie made me realize how much I loved old Disney movies. They were surprisingly well made and had a great story and music. Yeah, the tickets were expensive but it was totally worth it. Last night also made me realize just how much I love living where I do. I know this whole "home is where the heart is" stuff is scoffed at, but really, when I do plan on settling down, my first stop would be to find a house back in Northern Virginia and raise my family there. It has everything I need and more. I think I will turn this into a full post soon even since it takes more than just this small paragraph to explain what I'm trying to say.

Alright, this is getting lengthy so I'm going to cut it here. I hope you have a properly lazy Sunday and a productive, drama-free week.

All the best,

JP

2 comments:

  1. It sounds as if things are going really well. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were at Town!!!! Lol, I knew I should have came on Friday! Haha, it is quite an experience the first time you see it...in my opinion, better than Apex...hah!

    One of my favorite things is to dance and keep up with the dancers there, go-go boys included. :). FYI, I can keep up. Lol.

    ReplyDelete