Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Suck it up

(Previously unavailable, but now re-posted)

If there are two things in life that I can not stand, they are people who won't take responsibility and those who just can not seem to be happy about anything in their lives. (Warning, this is a rant post)

When people sign up to do something and then complain about having to do work they had agreed to do, it almost makes me want to scream. Basically, it comes down to respect for me; if you signed up to do a job and then complain about all the "work" your poor dear soul has to do, then my respect for you has dropped tremendously.

This is a situation I'm currently facing with someone I know and it's really starting to bug me. In addition to all of this, there is also another element- If you have the audacity to then also complain about how I personally have done "no work", then we have opened up the gates of hell. Since I do publicity work for a theatre group here on campus, I was given the opportunity to have an assistant to help me out. I asked one of my close friends if they wanted to have this position and they agreed. As time wore on however, all this person has done is complain and steadily try to shed more and more responsibility.

 First came skipping mandatory meetings with bullshit reasons, then came even more complaining regarding the responsibilities they were given. Since this past weekend I was out of town, I gave my friend the charge of organizing people and house managing the show - basically folding programs and greeting people, not too much. Well, after the weekend, I heard from one of my friends that she had been bitching me out behind my back about how I hadn't done any work and that she was tired and frustrated. I wasn't only taken aback by this but I was also furious. Part of my job is a lot of behind the scenes work I will admit, but the number of meetings I've had to attend, the effort of trying to organize dozens of people, and physically going out on my own accord and putting up posters and distributing show material around campus without telling anyone is by no means anything remotely close to having done "no work". Add on top of this work for the next production I'm already starting on, coursework, and juggling the frustration of other people also refusing to do their share of the work in what are supposed to be group projects and I'm already up to my eyeballs in shit to do that I'm not happy about. The last thing I need is someone who needs to trash talk me on a subject they have no idea about. Stop complaining and suck it up.

The second person who I'm currently frustrated about is someone who, if I were stuck in the 1950s call a chronic Debbie-Downer, but since I'm not, I'll just say she's a dreary grey cloud of angst and passive-aggressiveness. Let's call this person H.

Hi, I'm H, and you and everything you say is stupid.

 H just can never seem to be happy. ever. Everything this person says is either sarcastic, snarky, or straight up rude. Literally, unless H has what I like to think of as a "good day" where they break a smile, H has the uncanny ability to turn a nice, calm day into a dreary cold-drizzle kind of day wherever H is. Keep in mind, this is the same person I've ranted about before for getting all moody at the drop of a hat. I swear that nothing in the world will make H happy and that really annoys me. I'm not going to say that I'm a 24/7 sunny attitude kind of guy since I definitely am not, but people like H really just drag me down hard. I like to surround myself with generally more positive people, even if they can get mildly agitating at times. Nevertheless, I occasionally feel like H might be the next person I limit contact with since they are not really doing anything good for me.

Alright, end rant.

I apologize for this rant post but I just needed to get this off my chest. Also, thanks for all the support on my last post. I've calmed down now after my Marketing midterm (which went smoother than expected) though now I have another midterm coming up.

JP

No comments:

Post a Comment