Monday, February 13, 2012

Language Nerd and Study Abroad

You probably need to know French to understand why this is funny.
Basically, the French have a weird and overcomplicated way of counting.

france: ten
france: twenty
france: thirty
france: forty
france: fifty
france: sixty
france:
france:
france: sixty ten
world: france what are you do—
france: four twenties
world: france stop it
france: four twenties ten
world: france that doesn't even make any sense
france:
france:
france:
world:
france:
world:
france: hundred.


I'd still gladly take French's quirks over German's horrid word-order and inconsistent assigning of genders to nouns (so bad....). #languagenerdproblems #iknowthisisnottwitter


In other news, my study abroad application is due tomorrow and I'm currently in freak out mode. I got my passport style photos taken today, got my dean to sign off on my course list, and all my paperwork except for editing my personal statement is done. Oh my god this is actually happening.....

JP

5 comments:

  1. Dix, vignt, trente, quarante, cinquante, soixante, soixante-dix, quatre-vignt, quatre vignt dix! I remember getting tongue-tied when I learned how to count up to a hundred en francais. But I found beauty in it. My favorite number was 1999: un mille, neuf cent, quatre vignt dix neuf.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with your application.

    I didn't apply for junior year abroad because I couldn't even think of missing some of the courses I had planned for my major (Government). For example, History of Political Thought ran for four semesters, two each year. It didn't occur to me until now, but there are probably some majors and some areas of concentration where a year or semester abroad works better than others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes other languages are more sensible. The French say 'the house green' instead of 'the green house'. Isn't it more logical to present the subject and then describe it after? I agree though that the French numbering is cumbersome lol. You'd better get that application through soon though if you are going to meet KC over there! - Wayne :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The French speaking people of Switzerland invented septante, huitante and nonante. Theses words make things easier...

    Good luck with the application.

    ReplyDelete
  5. French course in Nice-ESL’s partner language study center in Nice offers not only world class language education but it provides some incredible facilities that distinguish it from other schools. Taking a French course in Nice can be a memorable experience for you if you book through ESL Language Studies Abroad. ESL’s partner study center in Nice is well equipped with world class facilities and amenities so that students can learn French in a comfortable and supportive environment.

    ReplyDelete