Tuesday, May 3, 2011

12:30AM Run to the White House, nbd

Unless you've been living under a rock for the past 24 hours, you should know that Osama Bin Laden is dead, or as Fox News put it on their website for a good 30 minutes "Usama Bin Landen Dead Fox News Confrims". Now the beauty of going to school in DC is that at 12:30AM I have the ability to go for a late night run to the White House for a massive rally. Plenty of patriotic songs were sung as were chants of "U-S-A" were shouted that night; plus, I probably ended up on at least 3 news reels.

Here are some pictures







So yeah, pretty intense night, plus I got a nice run out of it. I will say it is rather strange to be celebrating the death of an individual, especially thinking that they were doing the exact same after the attacks in 2001. I'm not saying that people shouldn't celebrate, it is excellent news, but just because Bin Laden is dead doesn't mean the terrorists are going to fall apart. His role was likely minimal and symbolic if anything, their resolve to inflict more damage will only be greater now. It's actually rather scary if you think about it.

Nevertheless, this is something that Americans should feel proud of and hopefully this will help provide closure for many of the 9/11 families across the globe.

Today also marks the last day of classes of the semester and now begins my study period before finals begin next week. I'm going to start moving my stuff home soon and begin to live like a hermit in my room as 24 hour quiet hours are now in place. Damn, my first year in college is almost done. Time flies, time flies.

All the best,

JP

5 comments:

  1. I think bin Laden was still pretty important, so I think his removal from al Qaeda makes the world somewhat safer. But I wouldn't have joined a street celebration. I don't favor capital punishment although I think killing in a just war is okay. And however much he may have deserved it, I can't be jubilant that someone has been killed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If anything it is rather odd but going to the rally was really one an event that I know I will remember for a lifetime and will be telling my grandchildren about. While it can be seen as celebrating a death, it can also be viewed as a show of American solidarity and hope for a resolution in this war.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so weird when you talk about something I was a part of...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think there are two reasons for the mideast turmoil; religious extremism and also the fact that conservative Muslim men don't want their women having political power and freedom. Keep in mind that less than one lifetime ago women here were in the same position as Muslim women in Afghanistan today. They had to be covered head to toe, couldn't vote, couldn't work after they were married, were under complete control of the husband etc. It truly was a man's world. Christians have their share of extremists too but their power is diminished. As a religious extremist, Bin Laden greatly objected to the presence of the infidel's military bases on sacred Islamic soil (and hated the royal family who wanted them for protection from unstable neighbours). The fact that the World Trade Center also involved Jewish concerns was a 2-for-1 as far as he was concerned. Remember that history is always written by the victors. The vanquished of history would have a different story. bfn - Wayne

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Wayne — Wow! I didn't realize Canada (or are you only talking about New Brunswick?) was that far behind the U.S. that recently.

    ReplyDelete