Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Slacker

Being around people who are involved in so many campus organizations, are actively influencing the course of university life, and are applying for (and likely to get into) international summer programs makes me feel so inferior and insignificant.

I wish I had their drive.

I wish I had their ambition.

I know I shouldn't compare myself to others, but it's hard not to when I'm surrounded by people who I know are destined for greatness beyond what I could ever be capable of.

I should have expected this when I entered a Top-20 university, but despite my best efforts, I still feel like a nobody in a world of all-stars. I annoys me especially badly since based on my circumstances I think I shouldn't feel this way. I'm the first person in my family to attend anything other than a community or state college, and I intend to be the first person to go to graduate school in a few years. Considering my dad's a college dropout and my mom never finished high school, everything I've learned in psych and sociology says that the fact I am where I am makes me a statistical anomaly. I should be proud, but instead I feel average at best.

I want to change the world, give myself a name in the realm of big business, and do so much more, but even my lofty dreams are being eclipsed by those who have just as, if not more ambitious dreams than I do.

1 comment:

  1. I wonder if those students who are spending a lot of time on those activities are keeping up their grades too. As for 'destined for greatness' do keep in mind that we are all destined for the grave. Many men who are highly driven to climb the ladder are having quadruple heart bypasses at middle age. Pursuit of wealth and 'greatness' also means sacrificing your freedom and leisure time. I'm not so sure I envy the executive who spends 16hr days at work and lives an insulated life in a mansion surrounded by phony rich people. I envy the kid on the skateboard outside hanging with his friends. Life is mostly luck; all you can do is try and put the odds in your favour. bfn - Wayne :)

    ReplyDelete