Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Taking Back the Reins to My Life

I'm not going to be played like some $20 yard sale violin by someone who will likely never appreciate all I have to offer. Maybe what I needed is some kick in the ass to knock me to my senses, or maybe all I needed was to just realize that it's my life and that I shouldn't be blown around by someone like a leaf in the wind.

I know what I want in my life, and it involves someone who will treat me as well as I would treat them. Will I have to wait? Probably, and maybe this wait will be longer than I want, but I know that it'll be worth it.

My heart says yes. My mind says no. I don't know who's winning, but I feel change in the air.

Take me for who I am. I've had my fun, but everyone needs more than just some fun after a while. There's more to life than physical attraction. Unless you're willing to realize this as well, it's your loss.

I'm currently reading Plato's Symposium in ethics, and in the work there is a speech by the priestess Diotyma to Socrates. In this speech she details something called "the ladder of love". At the bottom, one is obsessed with the physical beauty of one, then of all, and eventually you realize that there is more to love and beautiful than what you can touch. Inner beauty is just as important as physical beauty, and virtue and wisdom is the ultimate manifestation of inner beauty.

Love is something that drives you to make yourself better in order to achieve happiness. I was stuck on that second rung for a while, but I realize that there is much more to love than just a pretty face, you also need to be beautiful on the inside.

Finding someone who can see that beauty inside of me is what I'm looking for now, and better yet, it's something I can take control of and mold with my own hands.

I like feeling powerful; I want it to last. I'm tired of being hurt.

JP

P.S. - yeah, I got the modeling position for the spring fashion show, now it really will be your loss if you screw up. ;)

2 comments:

  1. "There's more to life than physical attraction."

    Yay!

    The ancient Greek philosophers had some important things pretty well figured out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes sex is like the jungle; beautiful but cruel and vicious at the same time. Friendship and sex are steps one must take before loyalty and honesty are firmly established. You are looking for a deeper friendship and sometimes that takes time, but the sex drive usually wins over your mind; as the religious people say, 'the flesh is weak'. Get out there and circulate where there are some gay guy possibilities, swimming and the gym come to mind, maybe even the library. I know what you mean, there is nothing better than that close friend/lover in whom you can confide. You want someone who is not shallow. bfn - Wayne :)

    ReplyDelete