Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Looking Towards The Future

I want to make something of my time at college. I want more than just an education, more than the thrill of meeting new people or living independently. I want to take control of my life. Next semester I’m going to get involved in more clubs; I’m going to get a job and I’m going to get myself out there and become part of campus life.

One thing that I’ve never done in my life is hold an actual job. I’ve worked before, neighbors needing help, housework and the like, but for the most part nothing that pays a steady wage. I’ve wanted to get jobs over the summer before, but my parents want to travel too often that I’d be out so much and be inconcsistent iwth attendance. It would be more of a hassle for me and any prospective employer that it would be worth. I’ve never really had a true impetus that would force me to get a job either. I fear sounding conceited or snooty but the truth is that money for the most part never had been a issue. My family isn't rich but I’d budget Christmas and birthday money throughout the year, spend frugally and my parents would give me money whenever I asked so in the end, spending money was always on hand.

I’ve lived a comfortable life and I’ve felt guilty about that before and occasionally still do.

Now that I’m gaining more control of my future I feel one thing that will do a lot for me developmentally would be to find a job and earn money for myself. Even if I can’t make a meaningful impact on my admittedly outrageous tuition and housing I can at least earn spending money on my own. A step forward is a step forward anyway you look at it. There’s a student run business at school that I’m considering getting a job with; they own a chain of coffee shops, a convenience store, a grocery store, do catering and more. I’m also planning to look off-campus and see if any shops are be hiring. I dream of one day starting my own business or climbing to the top of an established corporation so getting a job now will get me some hands-on experience and help lay the groundwork for whatever comes in the future.

I also need to get involved in more clubs. I did fencing for a few weeks but dropped it after not feeling as passionate about it as I thought I would be. Sure it was fun, but just because something is fun doesn’t mean I want to commit to it. Crew was the only sport I committed to in high school because I felt passionate about it. It was a team sport; everyone was putting in 110% in perfect synchronization to achieve a central goal, and even if we didn’t succeed we still had the time of our lives. I sorely miss that feeling of togetherness, of camaraderie.

How not to row:

"Being beautiful doesn't make you a good rower, being a good rower makes you beautiful."

I am somewhat involved however; I'm part of my school’s LGBT pride organization but it feels disconnected to its members. Sure they organize plenty of events but I’ve never felt like I wanted to participate. I think it’s because they’re very “loud” on the pride part. I’m not a fan of how in-your-face some of their events are. I understand that they’re trying to get people to recognize their efforts and their message about being gay and proud but there are better, more reasonable ways in my mind.

Finally I need to get more involved with volunteering. I’ve been in contact with the LGBTQ center on campus and I’ve known the administrator for the center since I first arrived on campus. I’m on their volunteer email list and plan to help out as much as I can when I return. I’m looking at trying to get a regular returning spot in the center too. This is the kind of environment where I think progress towards getting people to accept gays can make the most progress. It's somewhere where people can get help and also a way to show gay pride while also showing that we're normal, everyday people and friends as well.

So those are my goals for the Spring semester; sure, this will be a lot on my plate but I think I should be good. I’m into the rhythm of things now and have gotten over the initial freshman terror period so I think I can handle it.

This just in! final grades have been posted and while I don’t completely agree with all my grades I still averaged between a B+ and A- so I shouldn’t complain. This isn’t high school anymore so things are definitely harder; nevertheless, I feel that the only direction I can go now is up. Three cheers for optimism? Maybe?

Well, here’s my latest musical addiction. I loved her single Chasing Pavements when Adele first burst into the spotlight a few years ago but this song just proves her talent.


Adele- Rolling in the Deep

All the best,

JP

8 comments:

  1. GOD, I love Adele and I love her new single "Rolling in the Deep." I can't wait for her new album!

    Best wishes. I know that you will do great next semester.
    KC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on the good marks JP! However I think you should focus on either extra-curricular activities OR a job, cos there will just be too much on your plate time-wise, especially with studies taking priority. You will end up sacrificing sleep and then burn out. Just my opinion but you know yourself and maybe you can juggle things ok.
    -You are right, the LGBT pride organisation should show some class along with the pride and tone down the flamboyance. Nice vids and I can sympathise with how you miss being part of the rowing team. Do find something that gives you a good physical workout. bfn - Wayne :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing wrong with any of what you propose for yourself, but I agree with wayner that all of it may be too much. If you do try to do it all, be prepared to drop something(s) if your schoolwork begins to suffer. You have your whole life to work and volunteer, and even to be in clubs. You have your four years to get all you can from your college coursework. (Well, there is The Learning Company, but your courses are what's being paid for. Don't let the money go to waste.)

    Is there still crew at your university? There was in my day (I'm assuming you're going to the same university I attended — mostly because of the theology classes. But come to think of it, there's one across town which also offers theology. LOL). Anyway, crew would probably be good, if you can do it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @naturgesetz - Yes, there is a crew team but the caliber of rowers is much higher than in high school. Many rowers are also recruits. Basically I wouldn't be competitive in such a field. There are a few rowing clubs in DC I'm looking in to for the spring so I might do that once things warm up a little.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funny cause I did fencing as a class early in my career, and dropped it immediately after the first day. (Because it was at 9 AM) There's also student government, a residence hall association (I'm sure), Club sports like Rugby, and yeah, a fraternity if your school offers it. I was in all of them and more but ultimately stuck to one for most of my college life. Funny how that worked...

    College has surprsingly every club for every interest, it was only this semester as a senior that I found out there was a Glee club, an all male acapella group, and a Quidditch team. I only joined one of those groups...

    ReplyDelete
  6. In case you haven't seen it search for "Running Without Sound" on YouTube. I think you would like it very much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. And never feel guilty about good fortune. There's so much hardship and suffering in the world that good fortune should be celebratednd appreciated, not felt bad over.

    ReplyDelete