Friday, December 31, 2010

Dear 2010,

Dear 2010,

You’ve been a very interesting year. Did I ask for all the interesting things you presented to me? No, but everything that did happen had a reason, and I’ve taken everything I’ve learned to heart.

You’ve brought me plenty of firsts…

My first kiss, my first hookup, my first true heartache

My first time I’ve actually felt comfortable with coming out and just being myself

My first time living independently, at least as independent as humanly possible

My first drink, my first college party and my first time getting sick from too much partying

And countless more.

You’ve brought me victories; I’m at one of the nation’s most prestigious universities, something my mom never got to do and my dad had to quit.

...and you’ve brought me losses; I lost my uncle to cancer and a friend I first met during freshman year.

I’ve met people who have changed my outlook on life and I’ve met those who are trying to figure out which path to take in life. I’ve made many new friends and very few enemies, and hopefully some of those friendships will be lifelong. I’ve become exposed to so many stories that no length of book could ever record the raw emotion and feeling associated with them.

And I have some regrets. You, 2010, were supposed to be the year I wanted to be more open with myself which I am, yet I still haven’t come out to my roommate. I also regret letting my connection with my dad become as loose as it has. I should have been nicer to him, spent more time with him rather than pushing him away.

Nevertheless, 2010, the surprises and triumphs you’ve presented to me far outweigh the downsides.

I’m more mature, I’m stronger, I’ve taken off more masks than I have in years and it feels awesome.

Thank you 2010, you’ve been one of the best years in all my life. 2011 has a lot to live up to but I have a feeling that 2011 could be just as good if not better.

Finally, I’d like to thank all of my readers, if it weren’t for you guys I never would have been able to achieve even remotely closely the amount of growth I have. I’ve revealed things here that I’ve never shared with anyone in person. The support you guys have provided is something I truly appreciate and can never thank you enough for.

Ring in the new year with some music
Two Door Cinema Club - I Can Talk

I wish everyone a very happy and prosperous new year.

All the best,

JP

3 comments:

  1. May 2011 be even better than 2010 for you. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What could I possibly add to that post? Well said, and a happy and successful new year to you too! As for me, I never drink on New Year's Eve cos I want to wake up on the first day of the new year feeling good lol. bfn - Wayne :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well it's a pleasure reading! And I'm sure your readers will always be willing to lend a hand to you. I mean, you're the one who bears his heart out for everyone to see and all.

    Have a pleasant new years, and be responsible with yourself!

    ReplyDelete