Friday, November 19, 2010

My Date

I took myself on a date just now. It was great, just me, myself and my thoughts; no argument about where to go or what to eat just a quiet afternoon. I walked down a street of small shops mostly removed of the tourist bustle that will surely begin tomorrow.

I visited a used book store but resisted the urge to buy a $25 1899 collection of Revolutionary War poems in addition to a wide selection of Mark Twain works. I also visited two art galleries; one a photo gallery for a travelling photographer with photos from Australia to Vietnam, to Amsterdam and Egypt, they were breathtaking but alas I need to save money and again resisted the urge to plop down a couple of twenties for one of her works. The other was an antiques store full of old advertisements from classic Coca Cola to more interesting pieces like a sign for a now long gone drug store named Hildred’s.

I didn’t think too much during my date, I just soaked in the sun drenched scene around me; the couples sitting on the patios of sidewalk cafés with their drinks, the trees dancing in the breeze like it was nobody’s business, and the people nonchalantly doing exactly what I was doing- escaping from the bustle of everyday life and just letting our minds wander.

I’m now back in the park sitting on a bench enjoying the sun on this cool, breezy day. I like having a hiding place I can call mine, sure, I’m positive that there are plenty of other people who know about this place, but in my mind, this place is mine. It’s early in the afternoon and only one dog is running around, but still, it’s as joyful as ever. It’s tail twirling in the air, excited like a small child on Christmas morning and a noticeable bounce in its step. Another dog has now joined, they’re almost exactly alike, people must like Golden Retrievers here.

I’m quite glad this week is finally over; I know I say that every week but with last night and now, just sitting in the park, this week is coming to a happy close. Last night I went with my friend Liz to dinner, she wanted to get off campus just as much as I wanted to so we went on a date. We walked over to Qdoba where we sat and just talked for the first time in as long I can remember. I think that was the first time I’ve actually gone out with her without Maudry or other people from the first floor. We talked about what’s been weighing us down, the events of the past few weeks and all the dramas of college life. We talked about the night before in the common room and how some people can be so ridiculous you want to smack them across the head. We talked about how talked behind people’s backs is just childish and rude. It was cathartic to just get that off my mind. Afterwards we got cupcakes and headed back to campus. Simple, and good.

Rounding out my Thursday was seeing Harry Potter at midnight; it was crowded as expected but the warnings of freaks and weirdos spoiling the fun never came to fruitition as I expected. The movie itself was good, it’s purpose was to lay the groundwork for the second part coming out next year. I didn’t enjoy the movie quite as much as I wanted to and some bits were just too cheesy. Another problem was the sheer number of cheap laughs tossed in to add interest to what honestly would have been an otherwise dull film, especially if you hadn’t read the book before.

I don’t know what this weekend is going to entail, many people partied hard over Mark’s birthday weekend and are taking it easy this week. I’ve had my two weeks at home, now I want to let loose a little but not too much since I do have a paper to write.

Next week is Thanksgiving and people are already heading home. I had planned to leave after my class Wednesday but now with two of my three classes cancelled, I’m leaving Tuesday instead. I get to spend an extra day at home and have a long weekend with the old gang as people flock back to Northern Virginia. I’ve promised Maria a full day together; we’re going to go shop, dine, bake and whatever else comes to our mind. I’ve also promised my friend Miss X. that I would go see Harry Potter with her as well. She’s inviting a friend from high school who she’s had a crush on for a while now and has finally gathered the courage to ask out.

I hope Thanksgiving weekend will go by smoothly, it should be refreshing to go home again, but it will be strange not seeing everyone for what’s a comparatively long period of time. Regardless, I plan to enjoy my time off, so far my teachers have been reasonable about not spoiling my time off with excessive work which hopefully means calm seas ahead.

It’s still early so I think I’ll go walk around some more before heading back to campus; I need to go on personal dates more often.

Enjoy your weekend,

JP

2 comments:

  1. You sound like a guy with a mature head on his shoulders. That was indeed a nice get-away-from-it-all afternoon. Like a brain version of tidying up your room. It is nice to have friends with whom you feel comfortable and can confide. Have a nice Thanksgiving home. I think I'll wait until after the second Harry Potter movie comes out and rent them both on DVD lol. bfn - Wayne :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love taking myself out on dates, but I haven't done it in a long while. I think at one point I spent three whole hours sitting on a bench by the beach during the summer, I enjoyed it quite a bit. I haven't done it in a while since I often feel uncomfortable being by myself in places that you often find people together in groups (movies, restaurants, etc.). For some reason I always thought there was some sort of stigma put on people enjoying a day with themselves in social places.

    Thank you for this post, it has made me realize a friendship I've often neglected: the one with myself. (Kinda cheesy, but you get the point. hah)

    -Kenny

    ReplyDelete