Thursday, September 16, 2010

Dave

I’m pretty sure I’ve said this before, but straight guys confuse me. Better put, not all straight guys confuse me, but those who leave you guessing their about actions and motivations do.

I’m kinda facing a Déja Vu at the moment; back in high school, Southern Charm confused me, but now there’s a new one who I’ll call Dave. Dave is a guy who lives on my floor and who I also have my Humanities class with. Since we live in separate hallways, I don’t see him too often outside of class, bumping into him between classes or at the dining hall.

So what about him is so confusing? Well, it’something I don’t really enjoy discussing, but it’s the pure gayness of him. I won’t go into too much about all the stereotypical stuff so I’ll just put it as he has so many stereotypically “gay” traits that he made my gaydar almost explode upon first meeting him. The problem is, this has happened many times with a few straight guys I’ve met over the years – Ben and SC for example. But I feel that Dave will likely be another case of my gaydar registering a false positive.

He’s a really nice guy, he’s from the Southwest and is shorter than me, though not terribly short. He swims and joined the crew team and water polo team at my school (btw, I’ve put my rowing career on a hiatus, it’s a bit too intense at my school and there isn’t a club or intramural crew). He has short blond hair and a really cute laugh. He’s also roommates with a really hot guy on the sailing team but that’s irrelevant. Our friend circles overlap somewhat and from I noticed, most of his friends are girls.

I don’t know if I’m really attracted to him, he’s a sweetheart but more friend material than anything. I will say this though, I have caught him stealing glances at me during Humanities and while before we really didn’t talk, we recently have been talking more in the hallways and outside. It’s probably all familiarity related though so I won’t really interpret these as anything beyond just that.

Sorry that my posts have been kinda boring lately but school is back in session so unfortunately that comes with the territory. Tomorrow looks to be fun though, our orientation advisor is having a reunion at his apartment and it’s pretty much going to be a giant pregame session, we might go to the gay club afterwards or just scout around for parties, I don’t know for now. Saturday, my best friend Maria is coming back into the area to visit so we’re having a big day-long date where we’ll be going out to dinner and maybe so partying or go to a club since there aren’t really any around her school. I’m really excited!

The weekend is almost here!

All the best,

JP

4 comments:

  1. I'm now retired (eat your heart out!) but I took a job at a call center for a few years until my retirement package kicked in. There was a young guy who was a supervisor there who fit all the stereotype gay qualities and I automatically assumed he was gay. A few months later one of the women told this guy's wife was expecting their 5th baby and they were collecting for a baby shower present. So I understand your confusion lol.
    -'Dave' sounds interesting. A lot of gay guys enjoy the company of women, and him glancing at you is a good sign. But confirmation of your gaydar does take time. One out of ten guys are probably gay and bad luck can adversely increase those odds, and you don't want a punch in the mouth to go along with it lol. Sometimes guys who are gay are a complete surprise; check some gay websites and you will see some gay men who would not look out of place at a lumber camp operation. Some gay guys are so afraid of being outed that they act very hetero including dissing gays. My general experience with hetero guys is that they talk sexually about wanting sex with girls and their head swivels every time a cute girl walks by, and have a history of dating girls. Gay guys don't do this. I think what scares most gay guys from coming out is the myth that a 'gay' guy is 'weak' or 'effeminate'; most gay guys are very masculine and full of testosterone and take pride in their masculinity, and that is why I am not particularly fond of the 'gay' word for a homosexual. Heterosexuals never mention that they have their share of 'effeminate' type guys (not that there is anything wrong with that!) as in the example I gave you, but they sure love to portray that image for homosexuals. Closeted and open homosexuals are in many professional sports and in the armed forces; they are definitely not wusses. bfn - Wayne :) (go easy on the partying and I hope you find a sport for some exercise)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have, I've taken up fencing, plus, we get full access to the school's expansive rec center/gym :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Follow your instincts bud they will guide you through

    ReplyDelete
  4. He could be gay, but we often tend to interpret actions as meaning a guy is gay when they don't really mean it. Even straight guys sometimes misjudge other straight guys, but what makes it harder for us is, first, not being straight we don't know for sure what it's like to be straight, and, second, our hope that someone is gay makes us want to see evidence that he is — people see what they want to see.

    ReplyDelete