Friday, April 2, 2010

College Roulette

My college journey is coming to an end, and so far, things seem to be pointing to me a choice between three schools: University of Virginia, The College of William and Mary and Georgetown University. I didn't get into my top pick of The Wharton School at UPenn and I got rejected from Columbia University and I haven't heard from Harvard yet. All of these schools were my reach schools so I'm not devastated that I didn't get in.

But now that it seems the field has cleared up a bit, I need to get decision making. All the schools had their pros and cons and I want to make a firm decision and not end up playing college roulette or anything and make my decision based on chance rather than where I actually want to go.

Here are some pros and cons:

University of Virginia (Charlottesville, VA)

Pros:
-Arguably one of the best schools in the South
-Comparatively affordable (but at roughly $40K, it's hardly cheap.
-Not too far from home
-Lots of friends are going here

Cons:
-Not the nicest campus in the world (too big, spread out)
-Has a reputation of the people being preppy and stuck-up
-No financial aid
-It's in the middle of nowhere, nothing to do that's close by.

The College of William and Mary (Williamsburg, VA)
Pros:
-Beautiful campus, rural without feeling detatched
-Historic location and area and right next to Busch Gardens Europe!
-Relatively affordable (about $43K)
-Nice, warm, welcoming people
-Lots of friends are going here

Cons:
-More expensive (no word on financial aid offers yet)
-Farther from home
-The climate is a bit too warm and humid for my tastes
-It felt a bit....Southern

Georgetown University (Washington, D.C.)

Pros:
-Felt most comfortable, I could actually see myself going here
-Nicest people
-Best campus and location. Felt like a separate world despite being in D.C.
-Close to home
-It's in D.C. so there's so much to do!

Cons:
-Again, close to home
-Holy student loans Batman! ($52K!!)
-I only know of two other people who got in/might go here
-Students admit there is a homophobia problem but that it's also getting better
-No financial aid

Notice that I didn't include Harvard on the list; I doubt I will get in and it's also hella expensive. Really, Harvard is a lot like a BMW or Mercedes, you buy it for the name first and foremost and everything else plays a minor role. Anyways, the campus felt old and stuck up and the people were much the same, it was really overrated in my mind.

This is going to be one hard decision...
All the best,

JP

4 comments:

  1. Hmm can't tell you what to choose just that I'm sure that you will find the right one

    take care
    Ethan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whatever school you choose to go I know you´ll make a great student, but whatever feels the most comfortable for you will be the best choice, hope you do get into Harvard though.

    Best school is where you feel more like home, after all, it´s the place you´ll spend a whole bunch of time so just take your time and choose wisely, have no idea about schools in the north so can´t be of more help, sorry, still you feel like talking you know where I am.

    Love
    Me

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey thanks for rading my blog,and don't ever forget that if you are truly good it doesn't matter where you study you still be good, there is all in you to make it BIG :)

    and don't mind if no one you know is going too, after all there's always more room for new people :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. WM and UVA are both country towns...WM more so than UVA.

    About the being close to home thing...I actually had that problem too than when I went for my first year, I realized it doesn't really matter if it's close to home or not cause you're going to be spending the majority of your time on campus. And that is a completely different environment no matter how close your original home might be.

    ReplyDelete