Saturday, February 27, 2010

Too Far?

When it comes to modern day media, whatever make sit to the public eye has to be reviewed three times and then again for good measure in order to prevent as much public controversy as possible. Things can't be too risqué, violent, gory or overtly sexual otherwise the oversensitive grannies and hyper religious come out in full war colours protesting the demoralization of society. This means that many of the most eye catching and probably most effective ad campaigns die before they ever make it out to the public, or they are neutered of any emotion and power the artist who created them.

But sometimes ads slip by these filters undetected and make it into the public eye.


In France, a recent ad designed by L'association Droits des Non-Fumeurs (Association for the rights of non-smokers) has polarized the public and has drawn mixed reactions. The ads, three in total, show teenagers with a cigarette in their mouths and what is supposed to be a tobacco executive positioned in such a way that it looks like the teens are suggestively giving oral sex to him. Under each ad is the slogan "Smoking: It's to be a slave to tobacco".

I'm not a smoker and never plan to be and I personally am against smoking, it causes way more harm than any positive that could derive from it, but I'm unsure of the ads. The message is there, it's loud, and it definitely will make you do a double take, but is it appropriate or has it gone too far?

To be fair, I've seen more sexual and suggestive ads in the middle of Times Square in New York, so I'm tempted to say that these ads should remain up, but that's just me.

So, what about you? Effective Ad campaign, or have they gone too far?

JP

3 comments:

  1. People get offended to easily
    I see it as a good idea. It really does get people's attention and I think it did a good job of that b/c the same old signs don't work but I think this will be a bit more effective

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would depend on what you get out of them. But I don't think so, and I am a smoker. What gets me though, is this..., if you can have a half naked girl selling, well, anything, why can't you have a boy?

    Bit of a double standard there I think.

    Octavius.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I first saw these, I thought it went a bit far, but as I looked closer, I thought the message seemed to be fairly effective mostly because of the word 'slave.' Smoking is addictive (alluding to slavery of behviour), and tobacco execs benefit from said addiction.

    ReplyDelete