Saturday, October 10, 2009

Judeo-Vietnamese Birthday-Wedding?

Just got home and completely exhausted form what was probably one of the best nights ever despite having to take the Math Level 2 SAT Subject Test this morning. So how this worked out was that one of my friends, who I almost never get to see, had her 18th birthday today, but, as it turned out today was also the day of her sister's wedding. So, what happened was my friend's sister asked if she would share her special day by having her birthday on her wedding day, she accepted of course so the overall excitment and energy doubled.
First I went to the ceremony which was at a local Hilton, that lasted about 45 minutes and then we headed off to a Chinese restaurant for the reception. It all started out pretty normal, I met some of my friends cousins and her childhood friends and they were all very nice. After, though, things got a little more interesting. After a glass or two of champagne the dancing part began, and yes, it involved the hora. Let me just say, some of the Vietnamese songs they placed seemed pretty normal, some older couples dancing happily, until at least I began to actually listen to the lyrics. One of the songs went pretty much something like "kiss me baby, just kiss me, hold me baby just hold me, even if I pop my top keep lovin me baby" all in a condom-commercial voice; now, maybe that's just my sexually charged teenage brain acting up but that made me go wide eyed for some time. Anyways, the evening was tons of fun, plenty of classic rock and 70s-90s songs were played and I danced more than I normally ever would. Afterwards my friend began to open some of the gifts, she got a necklace, books and such from others. From me, she got a mish mosh surpise gift containing a Borders gift card, a colouring book, crayons, monogrammed post-its, a 3-D dinosaur puzzle, a 15 pack of glow sticks, some Rolos and a package of Swedish fish. We ended up breaking out the glow sticks at the party and we gave a few to the little kids as well, they seemed to enjoy them which means they served their purpose well.

So what's almost nicer than a wedding/birthday? Knowing that there are still two more days off. Thank You Mr. Columbus for giving me a three day weekend!

All the best,

JP

2 comments:

  1. Wish Colombus discovered Australia - we don't get a Captain Cook day. Bummer.
    Sounds like you had a really wonderful time.
    Kindest regards Stef.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Phil,

    I just stumbled onto your blog and like the things you have to say. Just to let you know, I added you to my blogroll. Feel free to come by if you ever get the chance.

    I hope you know you're lucky for getting a 3-day weekend. I wish I could say the same thing. :(

    ReplyDelete