Friday, September 4, 2009

Insured! and Prop 1

Today I finally did something I've procrastinated for too long a time, me and my mom finally paid visit to our car insurance agent to get me added onto my parent's car insurance plan. We had planned to do this for about two months now but we always seemed to find some way to push it another two weeks until now- we finally got it done. Apart form all the techincal jazz, at the end of the day, it really means one thing - I will finally be allowed to drive by myself, so, if you live in the D.C. area, get off the roads or brush up on your emergency avoidance skills, haha. No worries though, I'm not a reckless driver by any means, i don't use my phone while driving and I can barely text properly even when I'm not distracted so I definitely won't be doing that either. Speeding shouldn't be a big issue either, traffic in the area, while not extreme, will naturally limit me to well below posted speed limits for the majority of the day and evening. I guess then if I do every want to let loose, I'll have to spend the $1,000 plane ticket, $1,500 hotel fee and $800 car rental to go to germany and experience it's Autobahn. (Effectively #6 on my to-do list for life according to what I wrote back in 8th grade for an English assignment)

Anyways, the meeting went all well and smooth in the end. The guy we worked with was funny and very likable and we worked out every possible discount we could, a good student discount and a some safe-driving booklet thing was was essentially like a homework book that I had to do- essentially, I had to fill out a book totalling an hour of work which eventually ends up as an $240 savings per year that I get in return, nice! Despite all of this though, I still effectively almost doubled my mom's yearly rates, one of the great bonuses associated with being a male, teenage driver.

Being Friday, it means there is now only three days until school officially starts up again for me. I finally got my schedule a few days ago and I got lucky this year and got some classes with friends I haven't had classes with since freshman year, I am also guaranteed at least 4 classes with Matt this year including journalism which I will thoroughly enjoy. I plan to enjoy this last weekend of summer with some quiet relaxation time before the inevitable bustle of Labour Day packing and getting everything ready for school. Anyways, I hope everyone who starts school this coming week a pleasant final weekend of summer, and for everyone who has already started school, I hope you had a pleasant return back to school and I wish you a successful year.

Also, for anyone who lives in the great state up north known as Maine, I implore you and anyone you know to please vote "no" on Proposition 1. Proposition 1 is much like the highly covered Prop 8 initiative in California which aimed to limit equality for gay couples. Even if you do not live in Maine, it is imperative that everyone try to contribute something to the effort to prevent Prop 1 from being passed in November.

More Info - Protect Maine Equality

No comments:

Post a Comment