Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Hello, Little Freshmen


So today was the last first day of school and thankfully, it was pleasantly surprising. I ended up with many teachers that I've had in the past, like my 9th grade English Teacher who is now teaching AP English Lit, and my French teacher who I've had now for the fourth year in a row. Actually, most people in my French class have had our French teacher all four years as well, she knows us all very well and is fully aware of each of our own little quirks and habits, so hopefully this will be a good year. Of course, there is the mandatory strange/awkward/moody teacher and this year it's my Physics teacher who seemed rather out of it first thing this morning. In a side note: I swear I'm like only one of four seniors who is taking Physics this year, I just need one more Science credit so I ended up in a first period physics class with almost all juniors, none of whom I know. Fortunately though, I did get lucky with many of my classes peer wise. I have friends that I've known for at least a year in the majority of my classes and this year I somehow got 5 classes with Matt (clouds part, cue angel chorus), I hope I won't be too distracted during all the lessons lol. Anyways, all my other teachers seem really nice, I didn't really get much in terms of homework quite yet, mostly a lot of forms I need to get signed which I'll probably get done tonight.

Now being at the top of the dangerous and trap ridden high school food chain, it's fun to see the little freshmen and think that that was me only a few years ago. Time really does go by so fast but in these few years there are a few bits of wisdom I'd like to pass along to the underclassmen.

Freshmen - I know you're probably terrified, heck, this is probably the biggest congregation of teenagers you've ever seen, but there's no need to worry. If you need help, whether it be finding a class or how to do well in a class or an assignment, just ask us, the junior or senior class. I know we look imposing but most of us are friendly and will gladly help you out, we've had to go through everything you're going through and you can learn from our mistakes.

Sophomores - So you've survived freshman year and have moved up one step on the high school food chain, good for you. This is the year to start getting more involved in the school, join some clubs, find a sport to do if you haven't yet or start building up your resume by getting a part time job. Just be sure you don't lose sight of your assignments.

Juniors - Work hard this year, and I really mean it. Junior year will probably be the year where you either break it or make in in high school. You should be taking some AP or IB courses this year in order to challenge yourself, sure it might be a lot of work, but it's probably be the best year to prepare yourself for the real world before the dreaded disease known as Senioritis sets in as laziness and sloth seep into your brain. Get looking at colleges too, soon you'll be working on college applications and before you know it you'll be packing your bags and setting off for your dorm! Keep it up this year, and you'll be greatly rewarded for all your effort in the near future.
.
In other news, my friend Maria decided that she would take me out to dinner on Friday for my 17th birthday which is actually on Thursday. I think the place is a Brazilian Barbecue restaurant in the area which should be fun and different, I haven't had that in quite some time. The original plan was supposed to be Saturday but I'm going to UPenn for a college visit that day so it wouldn't have worked out, oh well.

So overall today went well, got some nice teachers, met up with many old friends, and I got a lot of classes with someone I truly care about. Hopefully this will be a good year.

Oh, finally, Question of the day-
If you could re-do or change one thing during your high school years, what would it be?

If you'd like, you can explain why. I love hearing other people's stories and experiences.

4 comments:

  1. As a junior this post really helps. If only I read this when I was a Freshmen then that would have been amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a senior I agree with you about staying away from seniorites since it isn't good

    I guess I would want to redo my freshman year and met those who are my friends now back then. This would have made things a whole lot easier being gay and accepting myself plus I would have been able to talk more people about it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Phil, just catching up on you, sorry, been a while since I last checked your blog, you've got so many readers now, I'm so happy for you :D

    So your birthday is coming? great, now I'll have to bake you something, hehe, I don't know brazilian food personally but do enjoy it.

    As to what I would change of my high-school, I wouldn't change a thing I did there, it just helped me a lot more than any other school I had been so far, however I would make myself the muscular hunk I am today :P haha, I wish I could relieve those days knowing what I know now, being openly bisexual :) just missed too many things back then.

    Love
    Me

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked my high school years but it could always be better. I always feel like I'm not experiencing the most out of things...including college.

    And yeah, there is something special about Junior year that just didn't happen anytime else...

    Now college is passing me by, and yeah...high school was cool...

    ReplyDelete