Friday, September 11, 2009

Don't Look Down on Us

So today my friends took me out for dinner this evening as a birthday gift and it was excellent, well, mostly. So the food was amazing, we ended up not going to the Brazilian Barbecue place but instead a Middle Eastern Restaurant called Lebanese Taverna. It's a really nicely decorated place, like Ancient Arabia meets New York sheik and since we reserved a table we got to sit down right away.

So the good part - the food was amazing, I ordered something called Ouzi which apart from being very fun to say was a delight for my taste buds. It's a lamb and rice dish with plenty of spices, almonds and a tangy yogurt sauce. The appetizers we ordered were also good and we might have found a new most addicting food in the form of their fresh made flat bread which was crispy on the outside and hot and steamy on the inside. Dessert finally also was a good and because we went for my birthday, instead of getting cake, we got birthday baklava and honey ice cream, yay! haha. So the food part of the dinner was great, flavourful, fresh and refreshingly unique and innovative.

Now the bad part - If you go to any restaurant you expect to be treated well- courteously and with respect- this is no problem if you are an adult but if you're a group of teenagers, not so much. I'll be blunt, our waiter was rude, inattentive and looked down on us the whole time he waited on us. The first thing we asked for, separate checks, he flatly said no to saying instead "No, I'm going to bring one check and you guys just pay each of your own parts" giving us a disapproving look after. So then came time to order, by now he was getting impatient with us because we had originally sent him back twice because we needed more time so things didn't get better. When my friend ordered a lamb kebab dish, he asked how she wanted it done, he said "medium", my friend does not really like her red meat red so she said medium well which he promptly responded with a shocked/disapproving look, making a face as he wrote it down. Now, while we ate our appetizers we quickly finished our addicting bread and three of us ran through our glasses of water, he never once checked in on us while the table he waited one table over was checked on literally ever 3 minutes. By the end of the meal we paid for dinner, Maria paid for my portion as a gift while the others paid on their own, two with cards and one with cash. Now on the check, there was a section labeled "suggested tip" which was about $20 or so dollars which the waiter had circled, (wtf?) So I guess you can expect that afterwards when we got the receipt sans the change for my friend who paid in cash she was supposed to receive, we had all reached the last straw. We ended up filling out the comment card in the bill and gave it to the maitre d' at the front detailing our experience and we didn't provide any additional tip apart from the money he failed to return to us.

Some of us felt somewhat guilty afterwards but we all agreed that the way we were treated was completely unacceptable. We felt belittled, looked down upon, and discriminated against just because we were a group of teenagers rather than adults. Sure the food was excellent, but any dining experience consists of two parts, the food and the experience, yes, the food was fantastic, but the experience left much to be desired.

Anyone else had a similar experience at a restaurant or any store in general?

3 comments:

  1. Yes as a matter of fact I did

    Me and a group of people from my church (along with my parents) went out to eat at a place called Bostons
    Now their was about 20 of us from adults to young children.

    Now of course we had to wait and we didn't mind that but once seated it took SOOOOOO long to get our food I mean we had to wait 45 mins to be served

    I mean I know we are big but it's supposed to be 1st come 1st serve and then one of my friends thought he got a correct pizza but it had some blue stuff on it and had it sent back and then it turns out it was the WRONG pizza.

    Ok finally it's getting close to us leaving so me and a couple of my friends goes out to his car to hang out and we were about their for about 15 mins.

    Turns out they had gotten all the orders wrong and the parents had to keep sending the checks back to get them fixed

    In the end we all said we would never eat at Bostons again

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Lebanese food is absolutely wonderful!

    It's kind of a self-fulfilling prophesy, he treated you badly because he didn't expect teenagers to tip well, then gets upset when you don't. Oh well, maybe he had been fasting for Ramadan.

    Sometimes when I go to an expensive restaurant without dressing up I get that treatment. I just keep smiling, and be assertive and insistent about what I want.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm I was with a group of friends in a nice restaurant and we all simply left without giving ANY tip. Thats something waiters have to learn. You get rewarded (tip) based on your service. Fail to provide that and theres no tip, that simple.

    ReplyDelete