Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Time to Make Money

Waking up at 7:30 over the summer is not something I am used to doing or personally enjoy doing, but today was special as today I went to my first day of "work" for my position of Co-Business and Ad Manager for my school's newspaper. I had to get to school by 9 this morning to get ready and learn about what my duties would be and get some preliminary client contact work done, in the end, it turned out to be a grand day made up of database updating, filing, and preparing and licking shut 180 manila envelopes to be sent out to advertisers. The girl who held the position before me and my partner had held the spot for three years and pretty much built up the entire advertising program from the ground up, from a $700 budget three years ago, to over $15,000 last year, so we have quite some big shoes to fill. Our goal is to get $2,000 or so per issue, and there are about 9 or so issues in a year so we need to raise about $18,000 this year, I guess that's hwy we need to get started early.

In other news, I've gotten back to Eastern Time and am no longer set onto Pacific time which is good since I set a new record for myself when I got up at 11:30 two days ago, I pretty much wasted my entire morning. But one thing though I still have not gotten used to again would be how horrible the heat is here in Virginia. In Nevada it easily gets above 110 degrees during the summer, but it's such a dry heat it's pretty bearable. Now here, it gets to about 88 or so now during the August but it's terribly humid and muggy so it's that much worse. The next time it storms, I'm going to dance my heart out in the rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment