Monday, August 31, 2009

"Get This Fruit Off My Freaking Pizza!"


So today was another exciting day at newspaper....no, exciting is the wrong word, mind numbing, yes, mind numbing day at newspaper. So today was the new teacher induction ceremony at my high school which explained why when I arrived at 9 this morning the entire school, even the main office was completely empty. We had a few teachers who retired last year, some have been at the school for over 20 years and now I guess their replacements have arrived, but anyways, back to newspaper. Not too much really happened today, we got another contract done today which brought in another $500+ which is nice, unfortunately, we need to raise about $2,000 worth of ads per issue and currently we are at only about $660. Businesses aren't quite as lavish when it comes to advertising expenses as in previous years due to the recent recession and placing an ad in a school newsmagazine might not seem to be the wisest choice considering the many other more prestigious outlets out there. So yeah, for now at least, the business manager job I hold with my partner Sarah is rather dull and repetitive with a cycle of calls, emails and letters, 97% of which go unanswered in the end :/

Later on, the day did get better though at 1 when we got lunch, we ordered a cheese and pineapple pizza and our teacher/advisor kept banging on how the fake Hawaiian pizza (sans Canadian bacon) left much to be desired and how we were now forbidden to order pizza again. Our teacher, let's call him Mr. Jones is a really entertaining person to work with, for example, the day icebreakers for the new staffers involved a "goblet of fire" and a hula hoop challenge. The challenge was that you had to be able to hula for 15 seconds and if you did you got to choose a prize. Prizes included an ipod shuffle or a free yearbook ($79!!!). Mr. Jones is openly gay also which makes him that much cooler. One mystery for me though is apparently he has a "spice dance" which is playing off the spice girls which I might be able to see one day on a journalism trip to a competition later this year. needless to say, I can't wait to see this. Finally I had a nice conversation with Matt today, he's the guy I've liked since last October, he's also in Newspaper and runs XC. Apparently he was at the XC car wash who competed against us this past weekend, I should of tried and sold some of our baked goods to them haha. He writes for the sports section this year I've learned.

Afterward I went out to lunch with Maria, kind of late to be honest as we didn't have lunch until 3. We went to California Pizza Kitchen and we ordered a pear and gorgonzola pizza to share, hmmmm. It was different to say the least, I approve of the mix of sweet and savoury but the gorgonzola was a bit strong for my taste. Afterwards we walked around the mall for a bit but I really wanted to be outside, the weather here has been amazing and it will continue for the rest of the week. Today it was a high of 77, mostly sunny and breezy with low humidity, how is this August!? As this will continue for the week, I would like to thank mother nature for making this final week of summer meteorologically enjoyable.

Also, today's Ben's birthday - so Happy Birthday to You Mate, wishing you many more happy and memory filled years to come.



This song has been stuck in my head for about 3 days

1 comment:

  1. You all have such odd tastes in pizza

    Yeah the weather is cooler then that up here in Iowa and I think it will be closer to 74 for a high while at night we are setting record lows

    ReplyDelete